Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Gone shooting  (Read 4245 times)

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
Re: Gone shooting
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2011, 12:37:56 pm »
Pretty interesting info there, Mr. Tubercle.
I'm with Denny.  I aimed for and killed a bird once with a bb gun when I was about 13 or so and I don't think I've even held a gun since.
Why does it look like that target is the back of the man?  Doesn't that imply you're shooting a guy in the back for practice?
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2011, 12:52:36 pm »
I thought about that, too, Jeff.  If you're just shooting for practice or fun, why does it have to be the outline of a person you're shooting at?  If you were an LEO or military, i could see it....maybe.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

ccarlson

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2011, 02:19:27 pm »
The majority of people keep guns around for protection. I know I do. Cops are rarely available in a hurry, unless you happen to be outside a Dunkin Doughnut shop. Most criminals don't walk around with a bullseye painted on their chest. You learn to shoot at your intended target and pray that you never have to.  
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 02:23:18 pm by ccarlson »

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2011, 02:24:29 pm »
So, PC stuff aside, what kind of weapons did you train with at Ft. Benning?
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2011, 02:36:33 pm »

That said, you can't beat grilled dove wrapped in bacon with a jalapeño inside.

Could we please observe a moment of silence for this?   :-\
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

ccarlson

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2011, 02:46:18 pm »

That said, you can't beat grilled dove wrapped in bacon with a jalapeño inside.

Could we please observe a moment of silence for this?   :-\

I never talk with my mouth full. :)

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2011, 03:04:56 pm »
So, PC stuff aside, what kind of weapons did you train with at Ft. Benning?

M-24, M-16 & Mini-14 selective fire at Ft. Benning. When I was a L.E., I was a sniper (AKA "Team Threat Control" to be politically correct) on the S.W.A.T team. I still have the Remingtion 700 built by the Remington custom shop. One sweet baby ;D Consistently 1/2 MOA. We practiced daily at 300, 600, 800 & 1000 meters and had a "running combat course" @ 100 meter. That was fun! Qualified with 18 out of 24 in a 24" bull @ 1000 meters. Talk about pressure!

Our Motto: "If you run, you'll only die tired".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M24_Sniper_Weapon_System

M-P5 & 1911A1 @ Camp LeJune through their 2 week civilian law enforcement training  program

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heckler_%26_Koch_MP5

« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 03:13:52 pm by tubercle »
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2011, 07:04:48 pm »
Not trying to criticize, just trying to help. The better you shoot the better you want to shoot.

Thanks for the tips. I'm really just a beginner, so there's a lot for me to learn (I actually had to google "vertical stringing"). I did download the U.S. Army Pistol Marksmanship Training Guide yesterday.

Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2011, 08:10:26 pm »
Gotta say I love shooting rifles, always have.  I've only shot a pistol a few times and my shooting sucked.  My preferred weapon has always been a shotgun though... whether hunting or any other reason.  If I owned an AA12, I don't know what could make me happier at least in the sense of owning and using a firearm.  Check it out...  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4ebtj1jR7c    Take a chill pill before you watch it if you're easily excited.  ;)   

I would like to have a .50 cal too but I probably couldn't afford to shoot it and as much wilderness as there is here in MI... there aren't that many wide open space to really test my ability for accuracy with something that big... 500 to 700 yards is about the longest clear shot in my neck of the woods.

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2011, 09:01:09 pm »
Not trying to criticize, just trying to help. The better you shoot the better you want to shoot.

Thanks for the tips. I'm really just a beginner, so there's a lot for me to learn (I actually had to google "vertical stringing"). I did download the U.S. Army Pistol Marksmanship Training Guide yesterday.

I got better by banging away with brick after brick after brick of .22 ammo.   The skills translate up to larger calibers pretty well- for the most part. 

Although, even .22 ammo is going up in price too.

I just like anything that goes BOOM.   ;D
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

ccarlson

« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2011, 09:32:19 pm »
Guess we won't be needing this target anymore.

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2011, 10:29:20 am »
My preferred weapon has always been a shotgun though... whether hunting or any other reason.  If I owned an AA12, I don't know what could make me happier at least in the sense of owning and using a firearm. 

While not an AA12, the Saiga IZ-109 (if I have that number right) is an extremely "fun" shotgun!  Recoil isn't too bad, sights line up nicely, and 10 round stick magazines are sweet!  They have 20rd drum mags but they are quite costly.  Mine is officially "converted" with a number of made in USA parts, but I haven't done the full pistol grip conversion yet.  I do have a Dinzag Arms bayonet lug mounted, though!  A bayonet certainly ramps up the "mean".  Its essentially a very large Kalashnikov action, and feeds extremely reliably in my experience.  Never much cared for that huge AK safety lever, though.

Also, check out the new Kel-Tec KSG shotgun.  Bullpup layout with twin selectable underbarrel tube mags...pump action as opposed to gas operated like the Saiga. Clever little design, as is usually the case with George Kelgren and crew.  My advice with Kel-Tec is to avoid getting the first revision off the production line, unless you don't mind sending it home, but my 3 Kel-Tecs (P3AT, PF9, PLR16) are great firearms.

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2011, 11:19:49 am »
'I just like anything that goes BOOM.'

tuburcle, I feel the same way, I just got this: conspiracyx0.tripod.com/weapons2/454.htm

Very big boom and still easy to handle!
Phoenix, AZ

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2011, 11:27:03 pm »
Tannerite is a BLAST!
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2011, 12:10:05 am »
I just took my new .40 S&W to the range last Friday. Had a blast. Need to learn the proper grip and get consistent.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified