Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Astringent taste a few days after tapping  (Read 2206 times)

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
Astringent taste a few days after tapping
« on: April 30, 2011, 08:39:54 pm »
I kegged an IPA and the first two days it tasted great.  Then, it started tasting astringent I think.  I can describe it as a lingering bitter aftertaste and almost dry.  I know IPA's are suppose to be bitter, but this is just different.  What really has me stumped is that it tasted great the first two days and now it's not good.  I dry hopped with Columbus and the aroma is considerably down than before.  Any suggestions as to what happened? :-\
Dan Chisholm

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
Re: Astringent taste a few days after tapping
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 08:58:09 pm »
Might be oxidation.  It can give a harsh bitterness. It can also dull aromas and flavors.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 09:00:54 pm »
Becoming overcarbonated?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 09:03:30 pm »
It's not becoming over carbed.  I was also thinking that it could be oxidation, but how? 
Dan Chisholm

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 09:10:01 pm »
I'd suspect it could have been introduced during either the dry hopping process or the kegging process.  Did you purge the keg with CO2 before filling it?  Did you blow CO2 on top of the beer during the dry hopping?  Did you check that your dry hops weren't oxidized before you used them?  Those are the few that come to mind as most likely.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 09:19:55 pm »
Thanks Gordon,  I think there is a strong possibility that I might have forgot to purge the keg before I filled it.  Maybe I should make a check list on my fridge.

Dan
Dan Chisholm

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 09:41:50 pm »
Tailoring a checklist to your specific process can help considerably.  All you have to do is save one batch and it's worthwhile.  There are a lot of steps and it's easy to get distracted or forget small parts of the process.