Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Post your local Gas Prices here...  (Read 25954 times)

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Post your local Gas Prices here...
« Reply #150 on: May 18, 2011, 05:16:26 pm »
Let's move on.  This morning I left Carlsbad and gas was $3.59.  I got to Midland TX 2.5 hours later and gas here is $3.97.  This afternoon I left a meeting and saw gas for $3.79.  But then I heard oil rebounded to back over $100 so who knows where the price will be tomorrow.  BTW that's the first time in recorded history that gas in Carlsbad was cheaper than another place within 300 miles.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #151 on: May 18, 2011, 05:16:57 pm »
:D at Darkside!   Now thats too Funny!!  

Yeh, I guess it would depend on how much is a little etc?  I have to admit I don't know jack squat about hydrogen... how much can we get from a gallon of water anyway?

Well, since water is 2 hydrogens to an oxygen, maybe 2/3 of a gal. would be a reasonable guess?

Well... no, for several reasons. One reason is hydrogen is a gas, and as such is highly compressible.  Water is a liquid and is very nearly incompressible.  Comparing volumes of hydrogen to volumes of water is complicated.
But it's for that reason that Denny is absolutely right!  A gallon of water is 2/3 gallon of hydrogen (given the proper pressure and temperature). ;)

Sorry, but you can't relate the volume of water with that of hydrogen. Punatic is correct.
Yes, he is correct that it is complicated.  But of course you can relate the two.

I'm not using actual numbers right now, but if we assume 1 gallon of pure water at a given temp, that will be n moles of water.  When split, that will give n moles of H2.  PV=nRT.  If V = 2/3 gallon, n is what was calculated, R is a constant.  The only variables left are pressure and temperature.

So as I said "Denny is absolutely right!  A gallon of water is 2/3 gallon of hydrogen (given the proper pressure and temperature). ;)"

That's kind of like saying a gallon of sugar will produce a gallon of cotton candy. Uhhhh, nope.

The correct answer is that a gallon of water will produce approximately 4700 liters of hydrogen. You could say you will compress that to 2/3 of a gallon, but I could argue that you could compress it to 4000, 3000, 2000, liters, etc, That answer is meaningless.

If you went to your gas station  and paid for 1 gallon of gas and you only ended up with a few drops you wouldn't be very happy.  But what if the owner told you that you purchased 1 gallon of gas vapor, would you feel any better?  :)

Guess I must be getting ripped-off when I buy propane then ay?
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline punatic

« Reply #152 on: May 18, 2011, 05:26:44 pm »
All this gas reminds me of a ditty from the 60s:

"STP - It's the Racers' Edge!"

;)

AHA Life Member #33907

ccarlson

« Reply #153 on: May 18, 2011, 05:31:43 pm »
The correct answer is that a gallon of water will produce approximately 4700 liters of hydrogen. You could say you will compress that to 2/3 of a gallon, but I could argue that you could compress it to 4000, 3000, 2000, liters, etc, That answer is meaningless.

The point was to make sure Denny was right.  And he is, under the right circumstances. ;)  Just accept that Denny was right and we can move on.  ;D

Oh, I didn't know that was a requirement,.In that case you're both right..:)

If you are paying for 5 gallons of propane in gas form, then we need to discuss some land in Florida you might be interested in. :)

Offline punatic

« Reply #154 on: May 18, 2011, 05:39:33 pm »
I gotta say, this is one of the most amusing discussions I've read in quite a while.  ;D
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 05:41:06 pm by punatic »

AHA Life Member #33907

ccarlson

« Reply #155 on: May 18, 2011, 06:03:29 pm »
I gotta say, this is one of the most amusing discussions I've read in quite a while.  ;D

I agree.

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #156 on: May 18, 2011, 08:54:49 pm »

I agree.

You guys gotta get out more...  ;)  $3.94.
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #157 on: May 18, 2011, 11:57:14 pm »
I gotta say, this is one of the most amusing discussions I've read in quite a while.  ;D

I agree.
Me too.  ;D

Except now that we've moved on it's back to boring old gas prices.  Regular is $4.11, diesel is still at $4.49.  I get to fill the van with regular tomorrow, should only be about $75.  ::)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline punatic

« Reply #158 on: May 19, 2011, 12:03:43 am »

I agree.
Me too.  ;D

Except now that we've moved on it's back to boring old gas prices.  Regular is $4.11, diesel is still at $4.49.  I get to fill the van with regular tomorrow, should only be about $75.  ::)

It's good to know there is a fellow engineer out there who gets it.  ;)

Hydrogen combustion power applied:
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 12:13:00 am by punatic »

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
« Reply #159 on: May 19, 2011, 05:15:46 am »

The point was to make sure Denny was right.  And he is, under the right circumstances. ;)  Just accept that Denny was right and we can move on.  ;D

Oh, I didn't know that was a requirement,.In that case you're both right..:)

If you are paying for 5 gallons of propane in gas form, then we need to discuss some land in Florida you might be interested in. :)

Oh I don't know... 5 gallons of vapor can be quite expansive.  How much LAND are we talking about here?   ;D

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
« Reply #160 on: May 19, 2011, 05:19:27 am »
So I'm taking it that asking how much hydrogen is in a gallon of water is akin to asking how much a bag of air weighs?   

Offline Steve

• Assistant Brewer
  • Been there, done that. And now I've returned
    • Kettle and Cask Beer Blog
« Reply #161 on: May 19, 2011, 09:45:10 am »
$3.85 - $3.95/gal locally until you get to the intersection of any major road with US 20 $3.95+
Steve

"Because beer is food: in cooking, at the table and by the glass. " Lucy Saunders

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #162 on: May 19, 2011, 10:37:31 am »
All this gas reminds me of a ditty from the 60s:

"STP - It's the Racers' Edge!"

;)
Some of you might remember this one too. "You can trust your car to the man who wears the star. The big red TEXACO Star." And of course a gallon of gas for a quarter.

Cheers!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #163 on: May 19, 2011, 10:53:44 am »
So I'm taking it that asking how much hydrogen is in a gallon of water is akin to asking how much a bag of air weighs?   
No, just that the proper answer would be in moles of H2, not as a volume.
Tom Schmidlin

ccarlson

« Reply #164 on: May 19, 2011, 11:02:17 am »
No, just that the proper answer would be in moles of H2, not as a volume.

Now you're getting it. :)