Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Post your local Gas Prices here...  (Read 26186 times)

ccarlson

Re: Post your local Gas Prices here...
« Reply #75 on: May 11, 2011, 11:30:44 am »
I'd like to see gas hit about $8so we can get cars with decent mileage over here.  When I'm in Europe I can rent a Ford Fiesta diesel that gets over 45 miles per gallon but Ford won't sell it here.
Full disclosure:  I work in oil/gas exploration and have a company car so I don't actually buy gas, but my wife and kids do,

What makes you think $8 gas would get you higher gas mileage cars? I've been to Europe several times and I wouldn't buy any of their cars here, if given the choice.

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #76 on: May 11, 2011, 12:12:33 pm »
Good thing an election is coming up, gas prices are supposed to drop... to around $3.50 per gallon.  Wohoooo!  Yippeeeeee!   ::)  Are we sheep or what?!   :-X   
I need about tree fiddy...

Gas is up to $3.99 here.  The reason I wish gas would go up and up and up is so people start thinking about whether they need to drive somewhere or not, say to the store to get a gallon of milk.  Maybe, just MAYBE they'll think, "Hey, I can walk or ride my bike to the store!  It's free, it's fun, and I get some exercise." 
The thing I don't like about rising gas prices is that our imported food in turn gets more expensive.  But I'm willing to pay a little more for food if people get off their asses and realize their sedentary lifestyle is *gasp* BAD for them.
Jesse

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #77 on: May 11, 2011, 12:30:33 pm »
I'd like to see gas hit about $8so we can get cars with decent mileage over here.  When I'm in Europe I can rent a Ford Fiesta diesel that gets over 45 miles per gallon but Ford won't sell it here.
Full disclosure:  I work in oil/gas exploration and have a company car so I don't actually buy gas, but my wife and kids do,

What makes you think $8 gas would get you higher gas mileage cars? I've been to Europe several times and I wouldn't buy any of their cars here, if given the choice.

First for Corky, a lot of the times that's measured in imperial gallons which is not the same as Us gallons. The power plant is almost always exactly the same, also the EU regulations concerning estimation of MPG are different as well. Second ccarlson see above   The car you buy in Europe is the same car you buy in the US.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #78 on: May 11, 2011, 12:31:44 pm »
Good thing an election is coming up, gas prices are supposed to drop... to around $3.50 per gallon.  Wohoooo!  Yippeeeeee!   ::)  Are we sheep or what?!   :-X   

Gas is up to $3.99 here.  The reason I wish gas would go up and up and up is so people start thinking about whether they need to drive somewhere or not, say to the store to get a gallon of milk.  Maybe, just MAYBE they'll think, "Hey, I can walk or ride my bike to the store!  It's free, it's fun, and I get some exercise." 
The thing I don't like about rising gas prices is that our imported food in turn gets more expensive.  But I'm willing to pay a little more for food if people get off their asses and realize their sedentary lifestyle is *gasp* BAD for them.

I just got back from a 12 and a half mile ride on my bike.  This sedentary lifestyle is fun!  

Now I'm going to drive 220 miles to Kona and back.  I don't care how much gas costs.  It's just another business expense.  If my clients want me in Kona they pay for me to go there.

The price of gas is irrelevant.  The availability of gas is the issue we should be thinking about..
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

ccarlson

« Reply #79 on: May 11, 2011, 12:55:38 pm »

First for Corky, a lot of the times that's measured in imperial gallons which is not the same as Us gallons. The power plant is almost always exactly the same, also the EU regulations concerning estimation of MPG are different as well. Second ccarlson see above   The car you buy in Europe is the same car you buy in the US.

I wasn't really referring to the Ford, but some of the other ones. I rented an Opal one time. As far as I'm concerned they can keep those in Europe. Edit: Sorry, that got stuck in the wrong place.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 01:12:51 pm by ccarlson »

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #80 on: May 11, 2011, 12:56:57 pm »

I just got back from a 12 and a half mile ride on my bike.  This sedentary lifestyle is fun!  

Now I'm going to drive 220 miles to Kona and back.  I don't care how much gas costs.  It's just another business expense.  If my clients want me in Kona they pay for me to go there.

The price of gas is irrelevant.  The availability of gas is the issue we should be thinking about..

You guys should be pretty much set I'd think, what with geothermal and all.
----

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #81 on: May 11, 2011, 01:10:28 pm »

I've never seen a diesel Ford Fiesta for sale over here.  And when we're in Europe we tend to drive thousands of kilometers in our rental car.  On the german autobahn the mileage sucks but that's normal at 160kph. Off the autobahn I got around 15-18 kilometers per liter of diesel.
If the price of gas got really obscene people would alter their driving habits, you'd see a lot more natural gas powered cars and more mass transit.  W
First for Corky, a lot of the times that's measured in imperial gallons which is not the same as Us gallons. The power plant is almost always exactly the same, also the EU regulations concerning estimation of MPG are different as well. Second ccarlson see above   The car you buy in Europe is the same car you buy in the US.

Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline punatic

« Reply #82 on: May 11, 2011, 01:35:33 pm »

Geothermal provides for about 30% of our electric demand on Hawaii Island.  There could be a lot more but the C.A.V.E. People get in the way at every turn.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #83 on: May 11, 2011, 06:57:10 pm »
Paid $4.03/gallon for diesel today.
$100 bucks to fill er up.

Drove 150 miles up the road into ONG Land
(Oil and Gas Land)
where trucks buzz around like flies and the rate there was $ 4.43/gallon. :-\

I am impressed by the prices in Europe.  'Mericans sure are spoiled it seems,
and complain a lot. :'(

Gawd dang I love my truck.

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #84 on: May 12, 2011, 01:48:21 am »

Geothermal provides for about 30% of our electric demand on Hawaii Island.  There could be a lot more but the C.A.V.E. People get in the way at every turn.

Is that like C.H.U.D.?
----

Offline punatic

« Reply #85 on: May 12, 2011, 02:15:48 am »

Is that like C.H.U.D.?

Naw, there haven't been any cannibals here for many months now.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #86 on: May 12, 2011, 08:03:16 am »
Availability of gasoline would not be a problem if there
were a refinery near you.  We have a couple small ones here.
But the "not in my backyarders" have cinched that venue up so
IF availability goes away I place my blame squarely upon that.
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
« Reply #87 on: May 12, 2011, 08:59:45 am »
+1 on not enough refineries here in the states, along with opening up more land for drilling.

Hmmmm... interesting read, explains CAVE People and NIMBY People.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAVE_People

I guess I'm a YIMBY person...  :D   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YIMBY
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 09:04:46 am by dean »

Offline punatic

« Reply #88 on: May 13, 2011, 10:35:41 pm »
Gas prices dropped another 12₵/gal here today.

$4.44 → $4.32

That's down 27₵/gal in the last four days.  I'm getting whiplash!

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #89 on: May 13, 2011, 10:57:41 pm »
Availability of gasoline would not be a problem if there
were a refinery near you.  We have a couple small ones here.
But the "not in my backyarders" have cinched that venue up so
IF availability goes away I place my blame squarely upon that.
We have a fairly large refinery about 35 miles from here, and we are surrounded by producing oil and gas fields(google Permian Basin of NM and TX) and our gas is more expensive than most areas around us.  So standard cost analysis doesn't work with gasoline-we have the raw materials and the infrastructure to turn them into usable fuels, and very low shipping costs but we have to pay more than people in cities 200 miles away(the refinery nearby has a pipeline to Albuquerque where gas is usually 10 cents cheaper than here)
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico