Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Best mash tun for 3-gallon brews?  (Read 2124 times)

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
Best mash tun for 3-gallon brews?
« on: May 01, 2011, 08:03:20 am »
I'm using a 5-gallon orange cooler at present. I'm thinking of moving to a rectangular Coleman Xtreme cooler (blue, of course)--probably when summer ends and the home improvement stores put things on sale. I routinely brew small batches for a variety of reasons (space, only beer drinker in home, etc.). I rarely brew above 7% ABV.

I'm thinking a 36-quart cooler would be plenty for my needs, and that anything larger might work against me (more surface space = more cooling). Thoughts?

The big reasons for eventually moving to a rectangular cooler are that it would be less awkward and to provide a more even (and more efficient?) mash bed.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
Re: Best mash tun for 3-gallon brews?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 08:08:19 am »
Thats probably a really good idea for the size batches you want to do.   If you use too large of a cooler and you're doing smaller batches its harder to maintain a constant temperature of your mash.  IMO... 72 quart coolers are too big for 5 gallon batches, they're more suited for 10 gallon batches or really BIG beers like DIPA's or RIS's.

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
Re: Best mash tun for 3-gallon brews?
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 08:08:47 am »
The 36-qt Xtreme is what I use all the time for my 5 gallon batches.  Have gone as high as 1.080 without even coming close to running out of room.  Go ahead and get the 36 and you'll be good for you 3 gallon batches plus you'll be covered if you want to do 5-gallons.
Joe