Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Anyone who flys often...  (Read 1252 times)

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
Anyone who flys often...
« on: May 01, 2011, 12:04:10 am »
  There is an awesome app for your Droid, or I assume Iphone, too. It's called Trip It. Install it on your device, and every time you book a trip, forward the itenarary to plans@tripit.com  THen, the trip shows up on your phone, with you flight numbers and times, gate information, seating, airport maps, pretty much anything you want to know. It also notifies you of any changes, delays, etc... Really works great I use it all the time. Would hate to fly without it now. Also, you don't even need a paper boarding pass now in many airports. When you check in online, instead of printing a boarding pass, you can have it sent to you as a text message. When you get to TSA, open the text, which is a bar code. They scan your phone, and you're good to go for the rubber glove treatment. No paper needed. Save a tree.
  While I'm speaking of airlines, what is the deal with airfare? It's all over the place! I search for deals, and man it's tough. I've been looking at the same days now for over a week. one night, it was 350$, then 300$, up to 450$, back to 350$, then to 400$. Last night, it was 550$, and I finally jusy booked it for 350$. I mean, depending on the time of day, day of week, you never know what you are going to get. Used to be they held steady for a few days, but not now. I just don't know when to jump on them. 
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
Re: Anyone who flys often...
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 05:46:54 am »
I use FlightTrack on the iphone.  Does a lot of the same stuff.  Some airlines have apps too.  Used the free Delta one on my last trip to handle check-in.  Really handy to have all this data at your fingertips.

Flight prices jump all over the place.  It sucks.  Just about every flight I've been on in the last 2 years has been completely full.  Maybe 1 or 2 empty seats.  Seems like they must have pulled out enough flights from the schedule so that there is more demand than supply.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 12:02:02 pm »
I use the BA app on my phone, which does pretty much all of this. As I don't tend to fly with anyone else it's all I really need..
Bristol Brewing Circle (BBC)
Bristol Craft Brewers

UK National Homebrew Competition - http://www.bristolhomebrewcompetition.org.uk/

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 01:13:29 pm »
Unless it's absolutely positively a necessity I'll drive instead of fly.  The airlines have made it so uncomfortable and exasperating I won't fly.  I haven't figured out how to drive to France yet but I'm working on it.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 02:38:34 pm »
Unless it's absolutely positively a necessity I'll drive instead of fly.  The airlines have made it so uncomfortable and exasperating I won't fly.  I haven't figured out how to drive to France yet but I'm working on it.

I thought sure there was an under sea tunnel or something by now? No bridge?
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline johnf

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 04:56:45 pm »
Tuesday morning tends to be a good time for prices. Once you get to one week before the departure time the price jumps a lot. Other than that, who knows what is up with the pricing algorithms. I think uncertainty about oil costs is probably driving some near-term volatility.