Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cleaning Dip Tubes  (Read 3420 times)

Offline JKL

• Assistant Brewer
Cleaning Dip Tubes
« on: May 03, 2011, 07:20:39 am »
Apparently I've lost all kinds of stuff since the last time I kegged a beer.  I can't find my dip tube brush and I need to go to keg tonight to free up some space to crash a starter for the next batch.  I can't find my 12 point socket either but at least I have 2 kegs that have 11/16 hex fittings.  My LHBS doesn't carry dip tube brushes for some reason & these kegs have been sitting for a long time (at least 2 years).  I disassembled them completely last night and Oxycleaned but I'm still a lil' nervous what might be lurking in the dip tubes.  This beer turned out to be 8.1% somehow so I' not even sure if I need to be. Still...does anybody have a good way to clean a dip tube or know where to get something that will work?
-J.K.L.   

Offline SpanishCastleAle

• Brewer
Re: Cleaning Dip Tubes
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 07:30:10 am »
Other than a really good PBW/Oxiclean soak and thorough rinse, one other thing you might consider would be just boil the dip tube for a few minutes.  If the PBW/Oxiclean doesn't clean it well enough you'll never really be able to sanitize it using Starsan/Iodofor/Bleach, but boiling it should sanitize it even if you didn't clean it perfectly.

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 07:32:07 am »
A length of strong string (I've use braided fishing line) with a finish nail tied on one end to drop down the tube & a piece of cloth tied on the other end (dipped in a cleaner) and just pull it through 3-4 times.  Cheers!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline Bret

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 09:17:41 am »
A length of strong string (I've use braided fishing line) with a finish nail tied on one end to drop down the tube & a piece of cloth tied on the other end (dipped in a cleaner) and just pull it through 3-4 times.  Cheers!!!
That is a really simple, yet elegant solution.
Member #: 900000767

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 09:26:03 am »

That's what I do. Get it wet with sanitizer and make a second pass. ;)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 09:29:19 am »
I actually brush the diptubes every few cleanings, but I always make sure to depress the out poppet (tell it it's a worthless piece of trash  ;)) one the keg is full of Oxiclean or PBW.  The cleaner then fills the diptube and cleans it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 09:35:48 am »

Yep, that's about the same way I clean out my blowoff tubing.
Joe

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 10:19:36 am »
I do exactly as hamiltont has described with fishing line and rag/bits of nylon scrubbie/whatever. 
However, steel wool is a no-no with stainless steel (can cause rust).

I recommend you tie the rag in the middle of the fishing line line, so that you can pull it through the dip tube both ways or reverse it if you get stuck near the bend in the tube.

If, for whatever reason, the line breaks and the rag becomes lodged, I've found the wire coat hangers (bent into a straight wire) are very good for dip tube disimpaction.  Tape the cut tips of the wire to protect yourself and the dip tube lumen from scratches.