Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Starting to investigate pumps...  (Read 1560 times)

Offline enso

• Brewer
  • Northeast Kingdom, VT
    • Bristle Bros. Brewing Blog
Starting to investigate pumps...
« on: May 02, 2011, 07:17:50 am »
Looking for advice!  So it would seem the March 809...  followed by other numbers/letters??? is the one most folks go for.

What is the best price?  I saw this one.  http://cgi.ebay.com/March-809-PL-HS-C-115V-High-Temperature-Pump-/280663517437?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4158d968fd

Is that alright or can I get one cheaper?  This one just needs to be wired to a switch and a plug attached and it is good to go correct?  Yes, and the inlet outlet connections as well...

Any one point me to a good "primer" (sorry.   ::)) on pumps for homebrewing.  Just sort of an overall how/why/what guide?

Thanks! 
Dave Brush

Offline JKL

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Starting to investigate pumps...
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 09:33:09 am »
Sorry, I can't look at your link because I'm firewalled here at work but I just bought a March 809 w/ the 6' cord and plug for (I think?)$129 + $10 Shipping from Rebel Brewer.  I couldn't be happier w/ the service.  My order was at my door step in 3 days!
-J.K.L.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 10:21:55 am »
That's a good price. Mine was from AHBS for about the same last year but it's more now. It's a March 809 HS. Works good.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline JKL

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 11:38:29 am »
Any one point me to a good "primer" (sorry.   ::)) on pumps for homebrewing.  Just sort of an overall how/why/what guide?

I'd suggest a little test/tune session with some water before your 1st brew with the pump.  My 1st brew session was a nightmare.  Mostly my fault but then again it never hurts to be prepared.  And yes....it's all about being primed correctly!!
-J.K.L.

Offline gmwren

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 12:23:05 pm »
The March 809 HS 3500RPM model can be upgraded with a larger impeller from the March 815 model.