Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Weed and Feed?  (Read 3739 times)

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
Re: Weed and Feed?
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2011, 09:26:09 pm »
I get 180"/year of rain here at my house.  About 10 miles away they get 250"/year.  I use rainwater catchment for my household water.

I live in the Pahoa hydrologic unit on Hawaii Island.  The groundwater sustainable yeild is 467 million gallons per day.
That means that 467 million gallons of water can be pumped out of the aquifer in the Pahoa hydrologic unit every day without affecting the level of the aquifer (the recharge rate is >467MGD).  Most of this water flows into the ocean.  That does not include surface water flows.

Hawaii Island (approximately the size of Connecticut) has a groundwater sustainable yeild of 2,410 million gallons per day.

No water wars here.   ;)

Hydrologic Units and Sustainable Yields of Hawaii Island
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 11:21:06 pm by punatic »
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

beveragebob

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2011, 09:41:11 pm »
Hey Carl, has there been any radiation impact on anything where you're at from the meltdowns in Japan?

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2011, 10:07:12 pm »
Hmmmm....I thought this was going to be about how NOT to break open the chips and salsa after partaking in some non-addictive medical marijuana.

Nevermind.

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2011, 10:26:41 pm »
Hey Chumley, I'd much rather be on the road with drivers buzzed on marijuana than drivers buzzed on alcohol.  I've yet to hear of somebody high on mj being the cause traffic fatalities.  But with medical mj people also can't be driving, nothing wrong with that.  I just wish the whole country would legalize it and get it overwith... keeping a law saying it is illegal is like the prohibition, its going to end sooner or later anyway.   Jmo, for what its worth. 

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2011, 11:02:10 pm »
Hey Carl, has there been any radiation impact on anything where you're at from the meltdowns in Japan?

Mostly just unfounded fear.  The radiation from Daiichi has had more of an impact on the US mainland than it does here in Hawaii.  The jet stream carries it up around Alaska and down.

North Pacific Jet Stream model

We've been getting lots of calls at the lab for radiation testing of rainwater catchment.  I tell the callers that they will get more sick worrying about radiation than from any radiation in the environment here.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907