Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How large an effect can increased volume have on lower OG?  (Read 2365 times)

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
  • ---Michael Dieterle--------- ---Seattle, WA
    • Beer Monger - Adventures In the Wonderful World of Beer.
Someone help me with the math here.

If I'm brewing a 5 gallon batch and want an OG of, for example. 1.060, how much should I expect my OG to drop if I wind up with six gallons of wort isntead of 5? 

I guess the basic question here is, if you have wort that's 1.060, what would the reading drop to if you added a gallon of water? 
Beer Monger's Blog
Follow my Beer Monger page on Facebook!

Drink responsibly and stay safe out there.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: How large an effect can increased volume have on lower OG?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 10:04:42 am »
Easy....5 gal. at 60 gravity gives you 300 gravity units (5*60+300).  If you have 6 gal., it becomes 300/6=50.  So the gravity would be 1.050.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 10:06:23 am »
Easy....5 gal. at 60 gravity gives you 300 gravity units (5*60+300).  If you have 6 gal., it becomes 300/6=50.  So the gravity would be 1.050.
OK.  Thanks, Denny.  That would partly explain the lower OG on my batch this weekend.  I think I wond up with 6 gallons instead of 5.  I must have over-compensated for the losses I was experiencing when doing 10 gallon batches (the batch this weekend was 5). 
Beer Monger's Blog

narvin

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 10:31:35 am »
To make it even more simple: gravity is points/gallon, so if your volume increases by the ratio 6/5, your gravity lowers to 5/6.

Now, you might get a little bit higher efficiency from the longer sparge, but that will be small compared to the loss of 16.66667% due to dilution.

narvin

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 10:35:29 am »
Easy....5 gal. at 60 gravity gives you 300 gravity units (5*60+300).  If you have 6 gal., it becomes 300/6=50.  So the gravity would be 1.050.
OK.  Thanks, Denny.  That would partly explain the lower OG on my batch this weekend.  I think I wond up with 6 gallons instead of 5.  I must have over-compensated for the losses I was experiencing when doing 10 gallon batches (the batch this weekend was 5).  

Just curious... why do you think you'd get greater losses in a 10 gallon batch?  Things like mash tun and boil kettle dead space, as well as boil off, should be a fixed volume and not proportional to your batch size, so you'd have less loss in a 10 gallon batch as a percentage.  Unless you're using different equipment, that is.

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 10:45:17 am »
I can think of one situation where the (lautering) efficiencies would be different between a 5 and 10 gallon batch, and a low-gravity versus a high-gravity batch, especially with a round 10-gallon Rubbermaid/Gott cooler due to grain bed compaction.  There is just too much height to the grain bed given its base.  You can still get the sparge done, but it takes a lot longer.  If you're regularly doing large batches and/or high gravity brews, go for the bigger and rectangular cooler in order to keep the grain bed height low relative to the base.

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 10:56:49 am »
Easy....5 gal. at 60 gravity gives you 300 gravity units (5*60+300).  If you have 6 gal., it becomes 300/6=50.  So the gravity would be 1.050.
OK.  Thanks, Denny.  That would partly explain the lower OG on my batch this weekend.  I think I wond up with 6 gallons instead of 5.  I must have over-compensated for the losses I was experiencing when doing 10 gallon batches (the batch this weekend was 5).  

Just curious... why do you think you'd get greater losses in a 10 gallon batch?  Things like mash tun and boil kettle dead space, as well as boil off, should be a fixed volume and not proportional to your batch size, so you'd have less loss in a 10 gallon batch as a percentage.  Unless you're using different equipment, that is.

I don't think I'll get greater losses in a 10 gallon batch.  I don't believe I said that.    

The last few batches I made (which were 10 gallon batches), I was coming up a bit short.  What I was saying is that I must have over-compensated for equipment losses (by adding too much more water to the mash & sparge).  So even though this batch was only 5 gallons, my over-compenstation means I wound up with over 5 gallons.  

No big deal.  So I have more beer that's slighly less potent.  
Beer Monger's Blog

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 11:07:42 am »
Beersmith has a dilution calculator that seems to work pretty well also. As Denny pointed out the math is pretty easy but if you have the soaftware it's there also.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 11:11:04 am »
Beersmith has a dilution calculator that seems to work pretty well also. As Denny pointed out the math is pretty easy but if you have the soaftware it's there also.
Yeah, I'm just being lazy today.  Had a crazy-busy weekend & wish I could have stayed home in bed today.  lol
Beer Monger's Blog