Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mushroom bourbon cream sauce  (Read 2603 times)

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
Mushroom bourbon cream sauce
« on: May 10, 2011, 03:33:07 pm »
  Was just surfing some recipes, and had to to post this one. Looks like it would be killer on chops, steaks, chicken, pretty much anything. Even by the spoonful.

Ingredients
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 pound sliced button or cremini mushrooms
1/4 cup chopped onions
2 large garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 cup dry white wine (e.g. Sauvignon Blanc)
1 cup chicken stock
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup bourbon whisky
Salt and pepper

Sauté onions, garlic, and mushrooms in 2 Tbsp of olive oil in a large skillet on medium high heat until the mushrooms are browned - about 10-15 minutes. Add the wine, increase the heat to high, and boil down until the liquid is reduced to almost a glaze, about 4 minutes. Add the chicken stock and bourbon, boil until reduced by two thirds. Add the cream and simmer several minutes until the sauce thickens.
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
Re: Mushroom bourbon cream sauce
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 04:42:29 pm »
I would add the bourbon before the chicken stock and let it boil a bit (or flame it) to get the alcohol out.  Then add the chicken stock.  Alcohol doesn't cook off as well if added with other liquids.  Cooks Illustrated did a study of this a few years ago.  Google 'cooks illustrated' and 'azeotrope'.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
Re: Mushroom bourbon cream sauce
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 04:48:37 pm »
 Thanks for the tip. Just goes to show me, can't believe everything I see on them cooking websites.  ;D
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.