Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: May is National Hamburger Month  (Read 16534 times)

Offline SpanishCastleAle

• Brewer
Re: May is National Hamburger Month
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2011, 05:55:14 am »
I also just bought a bunch of OB Honey and 12 lb strawberries for a Strawberry Mead...maybe that will be ready for National Strawberry month 2013.

Offline ryang

• Brewer
  • Indian Hills CO
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2011, 09:13:32 am »
you want burgers?

here's your bugers... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9FRSghXhDM

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
  • ---Michael Dieterle--------- ---Seattle, WA
    • Beer Monger - Adventures In the Wonderful World of Beer.
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2011, 09:24:58 am »
you want burgers?

here's your bugers... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9FRSghXhDM

I'll have to try that sometime - but w/ all homemade stuff.  ;) 

And I can't believe I missed it, but this is also National BBQ Month!  Time to Q some more!  :) 
Beer Monger's Blog
Follow my Beer Monger page on Facebook!

Drink responsibly and stay safe out there.

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2011, 09:54:08 am »
[Off-topic: I knew I recognized the name Paul Blatz on my Hurricane Blowoff scoresheet.  You judged one of my two entries, either a Strong Scotch or a Vienna lager (both won gold!).  But as usual Josh and Ray stole the show for CFHB (Josh is sick good!).  Great feedback on my scoresheets, thanks!

You've got scoresheets already??  Maybe you're local but I've yet to see anything and they haven't even updated the website either.
Joe

Offline SpanishCastleAle

• Brewer
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2011, 10:15:42 am »
[Off-topic: I knew I recognized the name Paul Blatz on my Hurricane Blowoff scoresheet.  You judged one of my two entries, either a Strong Scotch or a Vienna lager (both won gold!).  But as usual Josh and Ray stole the show for CFHB (Josh is sick good!).  Great feedback on my scoresheets, thanks!

You've got scoresheets already??  Maybe you're local but I've yet to see anything and they haven't even updated the website either.
Yes, a couple that are both CFHB members went down to the HB and brought back all of our medals and scoresheets and we had a little presentation at our monthly meeting on Sunday.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2011, 10:39:48 am »

Yes, a couple that are both CFHB members went down to the HB and brought back all of our medals and scoresheets and we had a little presentation at our monthly meeting on Sunday.

I don't know what this has to do with hamburgers, but who (BoS's and Club) won the Hurricane Blow-Off?
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline SpanishCastleAle

• Brewer
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2011, 11:03:07 am »
I don't know what this has to do with hamburgers, but who (BoS's and Club) won the Hurricane Blow-Off?
My fault for the threadjack, sorry.  I don't think anybody in CFHB won any BoS awards jeffy and I'm not sure which club won it (I don't think it was us).

"I'm not sorry!  Want a hambugga?"

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2011, 11:30:26 am »
Joe

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
  • ---Michael Dieterle--------- ---Seattle, WA
    • Beer Monger - Adventures In the Wonderful World of Beer.
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2011, 11:47:45 am »
OK, so... suggestions for eating out.  Who's got the best burger in your area?

Around Seattle?

-Red Mill Burger
-Blue Moon Burgers
-Dick's

Any others I forgot/I don't know about? 
Beer Monger's Blog
Follow my Beer Monger page on Facebook!

Drink responsibly and stay safe out there.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Ron Price

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2011, 03:13:30 pm »
OK, so... suggestions for eating out.  Who's got the best burger in your area?

Around Seattle?

-Red Mill Burger
-Blue Moon Burgers
-Dick's

Any others I forgot/I don't know about? 

As far as chains go, I love Five Guys. We have a great local place here in Pocatello, called Toms. And, one back in Ohio, just a little diner. Their burgers rock! They have one called the Full Back. Its' three 1/2 patties, Tons of cheese, Smothered in chili, good old fashioned skin on fries,, onion rings, and jalapinos. It's on bad boy!
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2011, 01:31:37 am »
First rule for me is good meat. But for the love of pete don't buy wagyu or kobe or prime rib or filet mignon or some such crazy thing and GRIND IT.

My blend is: 50% well-marbled chuck, 23% oxtail, 25% sirloin, 2% pork belly (raw, uncured). If I can't get pork belly I use hickory or maple-smoked slab bacon (thick cut, meaning ~1/2" sections, one slice typically).

Good buns are impossible to find out here - how I miss thee, Martin's Potato rolls - so the best place to go for buns is… McDonald's. You can buy a regular hamburger 'nature' meaning it has nothing but bread and meat. Because they're special order, they're always made super fresh so they have't been sitting around for a while. Usually parents get them for picky eater kids. Anyway I keep the buns and if I had a dog I'd feed him the meat, but we just throw it out. The buns are pre-toasted which is nice, and they have a nice squish to them that supermarket buns don't. Also I hate sesame seeds on my buns.

Grinding: SUPER SUPER COLD meat grinder. Everything goes in the freezer; meat is cubed and put on a single layer on a baking tray and put in the bottom of the fridge (or kegerator, it's usually colder and has more even cooling). Grind once, keep already ground meat in a mound in the fridge as you go. You'll have to stop every pound or so of meat because the grinder warms up, and you don't want that - the meat'll get mushy. Put everything in the freezer for 30 minutes and drink a beer.

Cooking: 8-ounce patties, about 6-7" in diameter, sprinkled with médon sea salt and a lot of freshly cracked black pepper. Freshly cracked is the important part, because pre-ground pepper tastes like death.

Vacuum-pack with a foodsaver and put into the boil kettle with a PID attachment set to heat the water oven to rare, I think that's about 160 F? Let 'em sit in the water oven for about an hour, but not longer than 90 minutes or so. Yes, this is a health "risk" because it's in the "danger zone" for temperature but: 1. I sanitize my grinder before use, and the meat I use is from farms near me and is usually super, super fresh. Because I'm grinding myself there's less risk for nasties. Plus, life has risks. I don't let it worry me.

The water bath is great because it lets me take my time in doing everything else - the burgers won't overcook because the cooking medium is the same temperature as the meat.

Finally, I'll set the BGE to "T-Rex," around 600 * F. Depending on how people want there burgers done, I'll leave them on for a little while or a long while. Do one side, flip, put on cheese, bacon, whatever other 'hot' condiments need to go on, then put on a bun with whatever people want. I always put my 'moveable' condiments underneath the slice of cheese so they get melted to the burger patty and aren't as easy to move around.

Sides are usually cole slaw and beans, but sometimes (like this Saturday) I'll do sweet potato fries seasoned with powdered cinnamon and powdered chipotle (or ancho, depends on the crowd).

My favorite burger is either: sharp cheddar, 'shake sauce' (google it), pickle, lettuce, tomato OR stilton blue cheese, extra pepper on the meat, roasted garlic, onion confit.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2011, 06:24:44 am »
OK, that sounds really hard core.  But delicious.  Taking the time and effort to do your own custom grinds sounds like fun; I've seen it approached that way at some commercial places.

About the only thing I'd question is the water bath.  The temps seem off, unless burger temps are higher than beef in general.  Rare is in the low 120s (F) for a steak.  I never take the temps of burgers, though.  Also, it's not in the danger zone if your meat and grinder are chilled (below 40F) and you are cooking it above 140F and/or storing the meat below 40F.  It's also not a danger if all this is done within 2 hours.

Did you find that you can't cook to the right temps otherwise?  Seems like you'd need 3-4 minutes a side without doing the water bath.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline SpanishCastleAle

• Brewer
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2011, 07:56:00 am »
Burger Lab did a piece where they tried to come up with the best mixture for grinding your own, I remember it also had oxtail in it.  They said if just go with one cut (best compromise), use chuck.  That sous vide part is pretty hardcore...the things we'll do for that 'perfect' burger!

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2011, 11:36:36 am »
OK, that sounds really hard core.  But delicious.  Taking the time and effort to do your own custom grinds sounds like fun; I've seen it approached that way at some commercial places.

About the only thing I'd question is the water bath.  The temps seem off, unless burger temps are higher than beef in general.  Rare is in the low 120s (F) for a steak.  I never take the temps of burgers, though.  Also, it's not in the danger zone if your meat and grinder are chilled (below 40F) and you are cooking it above 140F and/or storing the meat below 40F.  It's also not a danger if all this is done within 2 hours.

Did you find that you can't cook to the right temps otherwise?  Seems like you'd need 3-4 minutes a side without doing the water bath.

Oh my temp quoted above was just me not remembering what it actually was. 120 or 130 sounds right.

SpanishCastleAle, yeah my blend is the same as Burger Lab but with MOR BACON
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!