Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: WLP570 Belgian Golden Ale Yeast  (Read 2996 times)

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
WLP570 Belgian Golden Ale Yeast
« on: May 04, 2011, 06:50:14 am »
I pitched this on Sunday night (into 4.5 gallons of wort, OG 1.054).  It is for a Belgian Pale Ale.
As I did not have any time to make up a starter (as I usually do), I pitched straight from the vial after the temp had dropped to 66 F.
I did not oxygenate--simply let it aerate by splashing into the 5 gallon corny keg and put the fermenter lid on top.
Still no activity in the airlock (60 hours post-pitch).  Should I just be patient or start to worry?

Offline jwaldner

• Cellarman
Re: WLP570 Belgian Golden Ale Yeast
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 07:24:04 am »
My experience with this yeast is that it usually shows activity within 24-hours after pitching.  I would recommend sanitizing a racking can and agitate your beer to see if you can get some activity going.  You may also want to check the date on the vial if you still have it and see if the yeast was too far gone to be viable.

Cheers

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 08:06:12 am »
I've found that most liquid yeasts lag big-time when pitched straight from the vial. Waited 72 hours recently, but the beer was just fine. It'll happen- they're just marshaling their forces right now and are probably already munching away.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 09:28:39 am »
Probably right.  I just need to be patient.  I'll probably go home tonight and see that the yeast is making a liar out of me.
Maybe next time I'll just post something on the forum right after I pitch so the yeast can just get going right away :D

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 02:41:39 pm »
You might want to pop the lid and take a look inside. With a corny keg, the CO2 could be escaping around the lid o-ring, poppets, posts, etc., instead of through the airlock.
Mark Gres

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 05:02:38 pm »
Got home just now.
No bubbles in the airlock.
Everything is like it should be with the posts, poppets, o-rings and all.
Opened the lid and looked inside.  Lots and lots of healthy-looking top-fermenting yeast and tiny bubbles, so I know it is just a matter of time before the party kicks into high gear.