Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Finally bought a ph meter  (Read 5945 times)

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
Re: Finally bought a ph meter
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2011, 01:24:17 pm »
Cool, thanks for all the replies.  Storing the probe in a yeast vial is a great idea (I know I was saving those things for a reason).

I ordered some calibration and storage solution last weekend, hopefully it will arrive in time for Sunday's brew session.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2011, 01:54:17 pm »
Well....I just got off the phone with Milwaukee about the probe storage solution question. You would never guess what they said.  :)

The recommendation from Milwaukee is:

"The best way to store the probe is to get a small container and fill it with"regular tap water", remove the cap and store the probe in the water."

Hard to believe...but true.  :)

This makes things very easy. BTW...he also said to make sure you don't use distilled or deionized water just regular tap water.

Ron Price

narvin

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2011, 09:53:02 pm »
Well....I just got off the phone with Milwaukee about the probe storage solution question. You would never guess what they said.  :)

"The best way to store the probe is to get a small container and fill it with"regular tap water", remove the cap and store the probe in the water."

This makes things very easy. BTW...he also said to make sure you don't use distilled or deionized water just regular tap water.

So, why does Milwaukee sell storage solution then?

Did you ask to speak to this guy's manager?  It is entirely possible that someone's water is almost as soft as distilled water... how would they even know?

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2011, 08:10:16 am »

Did you ask to speak to this guy's manager?  It is entirely possible that someone's water is almost as soft as distilled water... how would they even know?

Good questions. Don't shoot the messenger.  ;)

Just relaying info. that a representative from Milwaukee has conveyed. Maybe they want to sell more probes...but my guess is that it is okay to store them in tap water profiles wide ranging. I would only encourage you to contact them yourself to inquire further. If you do, please let us know what you find out.
Ron Price

narvin

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2011, 09:09:23 pm »

Just relaying info. that a representative from Milwaukee has conveyed. Maybe they want to sell more probes...but my guess is that it is okay to store them in tap water profiles wide ranging. I would only encourage you to contact them yourself to inquire further. If you do, please let us know what you find out.

Thanks for calling... I already own the storage solution, so I'm just going to be lazy and stick with it.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2011, 08:06:00 pm »

Thanks for calling... I already own the storage solution, so I'm just going to be lazy and stick with it.

You're welcome fine sir.

Can't blame you for using it. I was really surprised to hear that "tap water" was the recommended storage solution but I can't argue with that.

Does anyone have any experience with using regular "Tap water" for the storage solution?
Ron Price

beveragebob

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2011, 08:26:36 pm »
I'm storing mine in  the 4 ph cal buffers.

Offline redzim

• Brewer
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2011, 02:05:16 pm »
Also just bought the Milwaukee MW102 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DTNDME... and also got confirmation on the phone from a Milwaukee tech to NOT STORE PROBE IN DISTILLED WATER. He was pretty clear about it. He mentioned something about ions leaching from the probe into the distilled water and shortening the life of the probe. IMHO why risk ruining a $100 instrument when you can buy a couple years' worth of storage solution for $10. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002NX0W2I/ref=wms_ohs_product_img_T2. The Milwaukee tech guy told me that the Hanna brand calibration buffers and storage solution are fully compatible with Milwaukee meters, so that's what I bought.