Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Kegging sanitizing gas line  (Read 11924 times)

Offline esheppy

• 1st Kit
  • Brewing in Denver, CO
    • Sheppy Brew
Kegging sanitizing gas line
« on: April 29, 2011, 05:32:42 pm »
I have just started kegging.  In fact, I filled my first keg last Saturday, and I think it is about carbed and ready to go just now.

I just realized that I never sanitized my gas line.

I took apart and sanitized all the keg pieces and both the ball locks.  I forced the sanitizer through the beer line and out the tap on my keggerator. 

But, I didn't run sanitizer through the gas line.  It was brand new.  My guess is that it is ok, but I don't know. 

For you experienced keggers out there ... do you sanitize your gas line?  Is it necessary?  Am I in trouble for not having done it?

Thanks.

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Kegging sanitizing gas line
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 06:46:35 pm »
I have never in 15 years of kegging sanitized a gas line.  I think you'll be just fine.  I do sanitize the keg connectors and keg posts before I hook them up but that's all.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline Will's Swill

• Brewer
  • Secretly likes wine...
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 11:09:08 pm »
I only sanitize brand new lines.
Is that a counter-pressure bottle filler in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 05:17:57 am »
CO2 is pretty damn toxic. I'm not a biologist, but I'm guessing there aren't many life forms that would survive in pure CO2. You're effectively sanitizing the line every time you turn on the gas.
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 06:35:09 am »
CO2 is pretty damn toxic. I'm not a biologist, but I'm guessing there aren't many life forms that would survive in pure CO2. You're effectively sanitizing the line every time you turn on the gas.
I have had beer go into the gas line from a pressure imbalance issue.  Despite the CO2, what looked like mold grew there.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 07:14:04 am »
I have had beer go into the gas line from a pressure imbalance issue.  Despite the CO2, what looked like mold grew there.

another theory shot to hell. didn't you read the part where I said "I'm not a biologist?"    :(
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 07:20:42 am »

another theory shot to hell. didn't you read the part where I said "I'm not a biologist?"    :(
I'm not either, but I can grow mold!
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2011, 06:47:08 pm »

+1  Yup, have had it happen.  In normal use, you don't need to clean gas lines.  If you have beer flow back into them, then you should clean them.  Not sure if CO2 picks up anything bad but I can't stand to look at it, so I clean it. 
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline mxstar21

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 01:13:29 am »
I sanitized mine when I built my kegerator, but I that is the only time I have cleaned them.  I don't worry about the CO2 line.  I do keep a spare corny on hand filled with sanitizer and water and hook it up to flush beer line once a week and let it sit over night.

Offline enso

• Brewer
  • Northeast Kingdom, VT
    • Bristle Bros. Brewing Blog
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 06:29:16 am »
I have only ever sanitized brand new lines.  The reason being is that they sat out in the homebrew shop along with grain dust in the air.  Maybe I am paranoid but if there is the possibility of grain dust in the lines...  getting blown into my fresh keg of beer...

Once installed though I never clean them unless something other than co2 gets in them.
Dave Brush

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2011, 08:45:23 am »

all plants require CO2 for life. many of them can live in a pur CO2 environment, although it won't stay pure CO2 for long as they respire and exhale O2.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce