Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pliny Clone Kegged in Two Separate Kegs  (Read 1646 times)

Offline wamille

• Assistant Brewer
Pliny Clone Kegged in Two Separate Kegs
« on: May 01, 2011, 11:19:36 pm »
I made 10 gallons of a Pliny the Elder clone a couple months ago.  I filled two 5-gallon Cornelius kegs.  One is already gone... and it was quite tasty.  However, I just cracked the other one open... maybe I had a soapy glass, but the beer tasted soapy.  I usually rinse the keg out first.  Then I wash it with a brush and dishwashing liquid.  I then rinse it again, and add boiling water and seal it up for a couple days.  Then I add iodaphor to the five gallons of water inside (the previously boiling water that's cooled).  Then I drain prior to use and rinse again. I undo the gas and beer ports... and tubes... and clean them as well.  I think I did everything right.  I'm just wondering if anyone might be able to tell me why my beer tastes soapy now?  I have had the second keg of Pliny setting in the fridge for over a month now.  Perhaps I drank a big taste of yeast at the bottom of the keg?  But I've never heard that yeast tastes soapy.  Cheers, Bill

And by the way... HUUUUUUAHHHHHHHHHH... Bin Laden bit it!!!!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Pliny Clone Kegged in Two Separate Kegs
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 11:35:35 pm »
I usually rinse the keg out first.  Then I wash it with a brush and dishwashing liquid.
Maybe it's yeast, but that's never tasted soapy to me.  Maybe it's the hops, although that seems unlikely if it was a split batch.

I never use soap, I clean with PBW.  You'd have to make sure to rinse really well, and even then I'd be concerned about residual soap.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline wamille

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Pliny Clone Kegged in Two Separate Kegs
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 12:24:18 pm »
Tom,

Roger your advice on PBW.  I have an oxygen based cleaner that sits in a box out of the way that I can use vice the dishwashing liquid from now on.  That said, I tasted the beer again... it's fine.  The glass might have had some dishwashing liquid residue in it.  I also hadn't had a beer in over a month... in deference to the man upstairs... so perhaps my tastebuds got a shock also by all the hops in the Pliny wannabe.

This beer brewing hobby is a constant learning experience.  And another thing, I recently purchased StarSan and used it in my last keg cleaning.  I keep a carboy filled with a proper amount of StarSan and reverse osmosis water.  So far I'm pleased with it's ease of use.

Cheers,
Bill