Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: All electric brewing system  (Read 9630 times)

Offline bassface74

• Cellarman
All electric brewing system
« on: May 03, 2011, 07:30:45 am »
I'm needing some direction on either buying an all grain electic brew system for my basement or building one.  I love brewing in the garage with gas, but our house is just not set up for my hobby.  Our house is good size but garage is small.  We only have enough room for some light storage and the vehicles which is why I'm considering going electric.  I have to lug my kettles and all the equipment up and down the basement stairs - uggh!!

I've got rough in's for a bathroom in our storage area in the basement so I thought I could install one of those utility sinks (and of course a toilet - ha) and a vent to the outside to help with the smell of brewing.  I love it, but the wife doesn't really like the smell - haha!  I can also run wires for 220.

All in all, there seemed to be limited information on all electric systems so any help would be appreciated.  I'd like to just buy a system but if it works out in my favor financially and otherwise, I can totally piece something together and build it myself. 

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
Re: All electric brewing system
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 07:57:02 am »
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline bassface74

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 10:18:26 am »
Maybe I should have specified semi-affordable - haha!!

Offline enso

• Brewer
  • Northeast Kingdom, VT
    • Bristle Bros. Brewing Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 10:39:14 am »
It seems to me there is a bunch of info out there on electric brew systems.  It is perhaps scattered around in parts though.  Check this and other forums and search for electric. 

I do not recall ever seeing a prefab electric brew setup for sale.  It seems most folks build themselves.  I think you can do it more economical that way...  If you know what you are doing when it comes to wiring.  Electricity is not something to play around with if you do not.  Especially when combined with liquids!

What size set-up do you want?  I have seen electric setups using coolers for MLT and HLT and then a kettle for the boil.  I think there was a write-up on wort-o-matic on building a cooler hlt with water heater elements. 
Dave Brush

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 10:44:06 am »
Maybe I should have specified semi-affordable - haha!!

Here's what I have:

HLT: 7-gal fermenter bucket with a hot water heater element/thermostat inside
Mash tun: 8-gal (I think) SS kettle
Boiler: electric canning vessel, like what people use to sterilize jars and such, 7 gal.
I also have a march 809 pump, and to maintain mash temp I use a PID controller along with an immersion chiller. The chiller goes into the boiler filled with water and hooked up to the power on/off on the PID, the outlet of the mash tun goes into the chiller, the wort is pumped through the chiller and back into the mash tun. The temperature probe for the PID is attached to the outlet hose for the chiller, and that's how I maintain temp.

My setup cost under $1k. The only thing I didn't like was the boil on the boiler - it just didn't have enough power to get a REAL rolling boil.
----

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 11:17:55 am »
Home Brew Talk has a sub-forum just for electric brewing. I've browsed there for some ideas, but it's mostly just idle curiosity at this point.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline zorch

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 12:02:00 pm »
If you are looking to buy bits, High Gravity sells heating elements, controllers, electric kettles, etc.   I've never used any of their stuff, but it's probably worth a look.

http://www.highgravitybrew.com/ProductCart/pc/Burners-Electric-Pot-Heaters-c306.htm

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 01:00:26 am »
If you are looking to buy bits, High Gravity sells heating elements, controllers, electric kettles, etc.   I've never used any of their stuff, but it's probably worth a look.

http://www.highgravitybrew.com/ProductCart/pc/Burners-Electric-Pot-Heaters-c306.htm

My experience with High Gravity has been a very positive one. They were very patient with me while I stumbled through describing what it was I wanted, and they had no problem shipping internationally.
----

Offline dano14041

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 12:53:34 pm »
High Gravity is my LHBS. They have always been very helpful to me!
Tulsa, OK

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 09:29:02 pm »

The only issue I have heard about that system that control box is not wired to the code.
Whatever that means.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com