Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: No fermentation?  (Read 2839 times)

Offline mmskelly

• 1st Kit
No fermentation?
« on: May 03, 2011, 07:31:00 pm »
I brewed an amber ale (Fat Tire tribute) on Friday night.  Because my yeast was a bit older (4 months old), I gave it 2.5 days to activate before pitching.  Per the recipe instructions, I waited until the wort was at 80 degrees, then I added the yeast.  I became concerned when, by Sunday, there were still no bubbles in the air lock.  So, I went to my local supply store and inquired.  They said that the particular yeast does better around 70 degrees or less.  So I bought some new yeast, activated it, and pitched it that night.  It is now Tuesday and still no bubbles in the air lock.  I have accepted the fact that this batch is a bust.  However, I'd love to understand what I may have done wrong before brewing another batch.  Any ideas?

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: No fermentation?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 07:55:13 pm »
If you are fermenting in a bucket, it is probably just that you don't have a good enough seal between the lid and the bucket, so there is no pressure in the airlock.  Take a peak inside and see if there is any froth on top.  If you have a hydrometer, take a gravity reading.  It's likely fermenting.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 07:57:10 pm »
First thing to know is that no bubbles in the airlock doesn't really mean anything.  A lot of lids don't always make a complete seal so the CO2 from fermentation can escape without going through the airlock.  Second thing, by talking about "activating" your yeast, does that imply you're using Wyeast "smack packs"?  If so, in addition to activating them, you should also make a starter with them.  An "activated" pack by itself isn't really enough yeast for anything more than a relatively low gravity beer.

You could already have fermentation going on or it could be slow starting due to underpitching.  Best bet is to give it another day and then lift the lid and take a peek.  If a krausen has formed on top of the wort, you've got fermentation going on.

Don't write off this batch yet.
Joe

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 10:07:10 pm »
+1 I agree you are fine. Lids are famous for not sealing. Next time, pitch that yeast a lot cooler though. Better to pitch your yeast cooler than you want it, and let it warm up. I cool my wort to at least 65* before pitching. If you pitch too warm, you'll get all kinds of funky off flavors going on.
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 05:18:30 am »
+1 I agree you are fine. Lids are famous for not sealing. Next time, pitch that yeast a lot cooler though. Better to pitch your yeast cooler than you want it, and let it warm up. I cool my wort to at least 65* before pitching. If you pitch too warm, you'll get all kinds of funky off flavors going on.

Like weaz says pitch it a lot cooler and try to keep it that way.  Ignore the instructions with the kit and try to keep the fermenting wort in the mid-60's.  Remember also that fermentation generates heat so the actual temperature of the fermentation is going to be several degrees higher than the ambient temperature.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline mmskelly

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 09:34:04 am »
Thanks, all, for the input.  Looks like you are all correct.  I gently pushed on the lid last night, and, sure enough, built up gas was forced to escape.  Then, this morning, bubbles in the air lock!  So I feel better.  However, I have certainly learned a few things: 1) don't depend on bubbles in the air lock for certainty, 2) as a habit, always pitch the yeast at cooler temps, and 3) inquire at the supply store about starters...  Thanks again for the quick replies.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 09:37:44 am »
2) as a habit, always pitch the yeast at cooler temps,

Remember that fermentation generates heat, so pitch at a temp below your intended fermentation temp

and 3) inquire at the supply store about starters... 

Take a look at mrmalty.com for some great info on starters
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline JKL

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 10:59:57 am »
However, I have certainly learned a few things: 1) don't depend on bubbles in the air lock for certainty, 2) as a habit, always pitch the yeast at cooler temps, and 3) inquire at the supply store about starters... 

I've been brewing off and on (more off) for the past 15 yrs and every beer is still a learning experience.
-J.K.L.

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 08:07:08 pm »
Ignore the instructions with the kit

I think that was the biggest lesson I learned on the other board when I began brewing. Seems to me, the instructions that come with the kit are designed to give your neww brewers a fast and furious fermentation, so they feel good about what they did. You'll make a lot better beer by cooling it down, and fermenting it slower.
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011, 08:15:59 pm »
Ignore the instructions with the kit

I think that was the biggest lesson I learned on the other board when I began brewing. Seems to me, the instructions that come with the kit are designed to give your neww brewers a fast and furious fermentation, so they feel good about what they did. You'll make a lot better beer by cooling it down, and fermenting it slower.
I brewed my very first kit beer following Charlie Papazian's directions in TCJOHB, and when I was cleaning up, realized there were instructions in the bottom of the box the kit was in. CP's method was better, and all was well with the world! I never used the instructions in a kit after that.  Now that I do AG, its a moot point.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 08:26:14 pm by theantipunk »
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.