Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: There's a first time for everything...  (Read 2106 times)

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
There's a first time for everything...
« on: May 03, 2011, 09:21:34 pm »
So I am at a family dinner tonight, and I brought some of my tripel. My 87 y/o grandmother, (who has NEVER before tasted alcohol) picks up my glass, asks "Is this one of yours?" and proceeds to take a healthy swig.  Flabbergasted, I couldn't even respond when she pronounced it "Pretty good." Though I'm not sure what her basis of comparison is, I was quite proud she would try some of my beer!  Thanks Gramma!
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
Re: There's a first time for everything...
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 09:25:43 pm »
Though I'm not sure what her basis of comparison is, I was quite proud she would try some of my beer!  Thanks Gramma!

Maybe 87 years of life experience?

That's as good as any ribbon or medal you could ever win in a competition!  Congrats!
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 09:45:10 pm »
Nice! hope she feels well tomorrow. Bet she was spot on.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 09:54:11 pm »
Cheers to Grandma! I'm fortunate to still have my 85 year old around as well. I think I know what she's getting for Mother's day! ;)
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 09:59:41 pm »
My 82 year old father was out here for both of my kids' graduations 6 & 8 years ago.  Both times he spent every afternoon going from tap to tap.  His 2 favorites were my Irish red(not strong or hoppy) and my nut brown ale.  He was pretty amazed that my homebrew was better than his cherished Miller High Life.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 10:02:06 pm »
  Gotta start some time! What a privilidge it was yours. My grandpa naever had a drop in his life. One time he did get pretty ripped on some bourbon balls, though. He had no idea what they were, just kept popping them like Tic-Tacs. When both me and my sister were young, he offered us both 1000$ if we promised not to drink till we were 18. (he still thought that was legal age) Neither of us took him up on it.  ;D
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline speed

• Brewer
  • Thedford nebraska
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 08:46:04 pm »
 Gotta start some time! What a privilidge it was yours. My grandpa naever had a drop in his life. One time he did get pretty ripped on some bourbon balls, though. He had no idea what they were, just kept popping them like Tic-Tacs. When both me and my sister were young, he offered us both 1000$ if we promised not to drink till we were 18. (he still thought that was legal age) Neither of us took him up on it.  ;D
now look where you're at ;D

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 10:58:45 pm »
So I am at a family dinner tonight, and I brought some of my tripel. My 87 y/o grandmother, (who has NEVER before tasted alcohol) picks up my glass, asks "Is this one of yours?" and proceeds to take a healthy swig.  Flabbergasted, I couldn't even respond when she pronounced it "Pretty good." Though I'm not sure what her basis of comparison is, I was quite proud she would try some of my beer!  Thanks Gramma!
sweet!
Brew on

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 11:12:33 pm »
sweet!
I know, right? It really moved me that she would support me me in something she doesn't agree with.  But that's what family is all about. Love my Gramma!

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2011, 11:16:26 pm »
Though I'm not sure what her basis of comparison is, I was quite proud she would try some of my beer!  Thanks Gramma!

Maybe 87 years of life experience?

That's as good as any ribbon or medal you could ever win in a competition!  Congrats!
I totally agree! The best compliment I've ever gotten!