Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: In Memorium, Ant Hayes, 1970-2011  (Read 14495 times)

Offline jill

• Cellarman
Re: In Memorium, Ant Hayes, 1970-2011
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2011, 11:57:39 am »
Very shocked and sad to hear this news. As many of you know, Ant was an occasional contributor to Zymurgy, most recently the Burton Ale article in the January/February 2011 issue. Condolences to those who knew him well.

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2011, 01:05:44 pm »
Bummer.

I still have a Mann's Brown Ale bottle cap on my fridge door from the Cincinnati conference.
Brew on

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2011, 04:41:29 pm »
I just heard.

I didn't know Ant well, but I was one of the people who took his BJCP course and the first UK BJCP exam in January. He was truly inspirational.

I'll be sure that we mark his passing at our club meeting tomorrow night. I also think it would be good to name the club trophy from the first open BJCP competition in the UK, which I am organizing this coming September, in honour of him.
Bristol Brewing Circle (BBC)
Bristol Craft Brewers

UK National Homebrew Competition - http://www.bristolhomebrewcompetition.org.uk/

Offline ajk

• Brewer
  • Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2011, 05:51:53 am »
Just saw Jeff's HBD post this morning and was completely stunned.  Ant was someone I not only greatly admired, but generally had a great time just hanging out and chatting with.  His AHA conference talks easily rank in my top 5 all-time favorites.  I remember the time he somehow managed to get several cases of Mann's Brown Ale shipped to Cincinnati for the judges' reception just so we could taste a real Southern English Brown.  At last year's conference, he said he liked my Mild Ale, which is about the best compliment I think I could have received.  Ant's work has had a large impact on my brewing of English ales and will continue to.

Offline cellarboy

• 1st Kit
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2011, 09:21:56 am »
Just learned about this - devastating news.

I had the good fortune to be introduced to Ant Hayes in the UK some years ago by another of homebrewing's great people, James McCrorie. Later I had the pleasure of judging the Champion Beer of Britain Speciality panel with him at GBBF. We bonded quite quickly and shared many thoughts on British beer styles. His session at last year's NHC was one of the best I have ever attended. 

He was an excellent brewer and very discerning judge. Our community just lost a major talent and friend.

It's Big Brew Day today. Suffice it to say we'll be toasting Ant Hayes. Cheers!
Steve Hamburg
Chicago Beer Society

Offline rocksbrewer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2011, 07:56:43 am »
Jeff

Sorry for you having to pass on this news and to hear from you again in this way. Like Jeff I met Ant via the HBD, there was always the usual comment about Australian Rugby players having their minds erased when they went thru the airport scanner and then one day he cooked up the Home Brew Tri Nations. Thru this I met one of my very best beer-mates, the illustrious Kurtz, with the winner of the competition going on to become install brewer at one of Australia's best craft brewers, Murrays Brewing Co.

Having Ant and his family in Australia a few Christmases ago will be now be remembered fondly evermore as will be the charming smile that watched me pull into the beach-side shack with a tray load of kegs and a magic box on the back of my hilux 'to sample'. I'd known Ant for nearly 12 years online and meeting him in person that first time was like it was the 1000th time. Needless to say we were just a bit slow the next morning, must have been the sausages.

Ant will be remembered by many especially a loving wife and 2 wonderful kids. If it was not for Ant working hard with the BJCP what are now regular exams in Australia would never be. Ant helped raise the bar and had conviction for good beer above all else. That same conviction keeps me going in my brewing job. Will miss you mate,

Scotty

Offline darkhorse

• 1st Kit
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2011, 02:43:46 pm »
This is very shocking. 

When I traveled to South Africa 5 years ago or so I contacted Ant.  He and Llew took me to a local pub and then to their houses so that I could see their brewing set-up.  Then Ant invited me to stay over for a BBQ.  I had never met or talked with Ant before other than an email or two.  But here we were, stangers seperated by thousands of miles, brought together by home brew.  I was happy to see Ant during the conference in Minnesota.  It was great to catch up a little.  He always seemed happy and cheerful and was great to talk to.

During his presentation on Lesser Known and Misunderstood English Beer Styles last June, Ant said that Milk Stout was his first love.  In memory of Ant I would like to suggest that the AHA hold a Milk Stout club competition named in his honor.

Steve
Steve