Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 9 uses for beer  (Read 1831 times)

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
Re: 9 uses for beer
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 09:52:37 pm »
Who has an indoor compost pile?

It does make for an amazing fruit fly trap though. I put an ounce or two in the bottom of a mason jar and covered with a piece of tinfoil that had a couple of small holes poked into it; it took care of the entire fruit fly problem in about 3 days.

Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 01:23:57 am »
I do, it's more of a bucket under the sink, but I know the problem well. My wife thew the old lid
into the dish washer thinking it would be ok. It warped the lid something fierce. Nothing some
weight on top couldn't handle, right?

Nope.

Worst case of fruit flies we've ever had. Bought a new flat lid...pest over. But good to know
what to use next time...
Ruben * Colorado :)

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 09:53:22 am »
I had an indoor compost bucket until this week, now it's on the back porch.  It's just to keep kitchen scraps in until after dinner when I take it to the big compost pile outside.  But the fruit flies have been worse this year than usual so something had to change.
Out by the kegerator I keep a jar to put foam in from my first pour of the day.  Within minutes there are hundred of the little busturds drowning in beer foam, it does my heart good.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 10:04:57 am »
I compost but the bucket has to go out daily. A whiff of rotten moldy onions is enough to encourage this.

Using bottles structurally isn't new.  In fact I'd like to try it.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 10:07:04 am »
So next time I spill beer on the carpet, I can tell my wife I'm cleaning old stains. Brilliant article!
Mark Gres

Offline SpanishCastleAle

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 12:50:17 pm »
I wonder if the spent keg dregs would polish the haze off of car headlights?  Imma hafta try it.