Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Do I need to re-pitch  (Read 4241 times)

Offline beerhaus

• Cellarman
Do I need to re-pitch
« on: December 16, 2009, 03:58:25 pm »
I've made an Altbier from a kit (extract w/ specialty grains - my second batch of homebrew) and have had it in secondary at a lower temperature for about two weeks ( in the garage in MN) and intend to keep it there another week- ten days before bottling - when I bottle will I need to add yeast - I've dropped the temp to around 35F - I'll bring it in for a few days to let it warm up - will the yeast there be viable enough to carbonate or should I add more and if so how much?

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
Re: Do I need to re-pitch
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 08:55:58 pm »
You should be fine and not have to add additional yeast.  Despite the low temperatures it hasn't been lagering for that long so there should still be enough yeast in suspension to carb.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline beerhaus

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 10:33:05 am »
Thanks - my first brew was an English Bitter and had a lot of chill haze - Another member of the local brew club suggested I drop the temp to help clarify and this seems to have worked pretty well for the Altbier - my concern is temp controll - I have no controll and wondered if I damaged the yeast it's a German Ale strain. 

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 10:59:52 am »
You should be fine and not have to add additional yeast.  Despite the low temperatures it hasn't been lagering for that long so there should still be enough yeast in suspension to carb.

+1

Shouldn't be an issue.
Ron Price