Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Rotisserie?  (Read 9539 times)

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
Rotisserie?
« on: May 05, 2011, 09:19:12 am »
I'd like to use our rotisserie for dinner on Sunday - did chickens last weekend which were awesome, but frankly, I don't have any good ideas beyond that, so throw out some ideas/recipes if ya got em!

Cheers!
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
Re: Rotisserie?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 09:20:24 am »
can't help much, never used one. but a thought.... what about roast beast?
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 09:34:01 am »
Beef rolled roast or any cut you can stuff with vegies or bread stuffing, roll and tie.

Dang it!  Now I'm hungry.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline blatz

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 09:42:25 am »
can't help much, never used one. but a thought.... what about roast beast?

what and invite the Grinch to come steal our dinner  ;D :D ;)

sounds good guys - keep em coming!
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 10:14:51 am »
One of our favorites is boston butt pork roast with about 15-20 garlic cloves inserted into the meat.    We used to do boneless pork loins but it's almost impossible to find one now that's not injected with "15% flavor solution".  WTF is that crap and why do you have to put it in my pork?
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline SpanishCastleAle

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 10:20:11 am »
Occasionally I get a pork roast that looks like a miniature pork-version of a standing rib roast.  The rib bones are fairly short.  I think they call it pork loin rib roast or something like that.  It's really cheap and makes a good pork roast imo.  Or if your splurging for Mother's Day; a standing rib roast.

The roulade/braciole Slowbrew posted sounds really good too.   Mmmmmmm, Giada.

Offline johnf

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 10:27:54 am »
One of our favorites is boston butt pork roast with about 15-20 garlic cloves inserted into the meat.    We used to do boneless pork loins but it's almost impossible to find one now that's not injected with "15% flavor solution".  WTF is that crap and why do you have to put it in my pork?

On the assumption that hispanic markets are not rare in New Mexico, they often sell minimally processed pork (and other meat).

I can get non-injected loins and tenderloins at my family owned neighborhood grocery store but I have not seen one in a normal grocery store in a long time. That said they always seem to have loin chops that appear to have come from a non-injected loin. If they are doing butchering in the store, it wouldn't hurt to ask if you can buy the loin from the butcher counter rather than the packaged injected stuff from the case.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 10:43:13 am »
I usually rotisserie chicken but I want to try shish kebob. I am thinking about getting some cages or this special attachment.

http://www.thegrilldaddy2011.co.cc/Napoleon_64007_Rotisserie_Shish_Kebab_Wheel-B0046XSI38.html

I love the al pastor but this a vertical setup which would require a much more extensive setup.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_pastor

Ron Price

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 11:06:28 am »
Pork loin on the rotisserie.

Stud & rub with fresh garlic and rosemary and olive oil- salt & pepper is all you need. Rotisserie at 350 until 160 interior. Let rest and slice.

Serve with steamed or roasted potatoes and greens.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline blatz

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 11:34:09 am »
thanks guys - I hope to stop by my butcher tonight on the way home from work and take a look at these cuts you've mentioned and see what I'll do - I may get something tonight or just price it out and go back.

I have a feeling standing rib roast may be a bit too much this time, but perhaps there's a sale - pork loin might be the winner.

Czech Pils, Bock, Helles, RIS and IPA all on tap - should be a good day!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2011, 11:34:16 am »
I haven't tried these recipes (don't have a rotisserie) but Raichlen's recipes are usually awesome.

http://www.primalgrill.org/htdocs/rotisserie.html
Tom Schmidlin

Offline blatz

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2011, 08:18:27 pm »
stopped by my butcher - pork loin roast with bone = $4.99/lb.  Rib roast = $12.99/lb so I went with the pork figuring that since this is only my second usage of the rotisserie, I'd rather minimize my losses if I screw something up.

Think I'm gonna go with what euge said unless I get a crazy hair otherwise. 

Euge - by 'stud' did you mean insert cloves of garlic into the meat?  I've done that often before, just checking as I'm not familiar with that term. 

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2011, 08:25:40 pm »
Yes. Insert.

Sounds good already. :D
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2011, 12:39:34 am »
I remember a Raichlen show for German Spiessbraten, a stuffed pork loin.  It looked awesome.  He said it was traditional to spit it perpendicular to the rotisserie.  I don't see that in this recipe, but I would have bet he said it on the show.
http://www.primalgrill.org/recipe_details.asp?RecipeID=160&EpisodeID=38
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2011, 05:41:26 am »
I remember a Raichlen show for German Spiessbraten, a stuffed pork loin.  It looked awesome.  He said it was traditional to spit it perpendicular to the rotisserie.  I don't see that in this recipe, but I would have bet he said it on the show.
http://www.primalgrill.org/recipe_details.asp?RecipeID=160&EpisodeID=38

Great recipe and show. Steve is a BBQ genius.  :)
Ron Price