Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: The NHC for the future  (Read 9443 times)

Offline dtblank

• Cellarman
Re: The NHC for the future
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2011, 03:27:04 pm »
Nashville region for me too.  Mine was a Berliner as well that got mid 20's score there, where it was getting mid 30's in all of the other comps, I've entered it in.  All three scoresheets were very inconsistent, which I know occurs (different judges, different opinions), but from the remarks I was getting on mine, I don't think they knew the style guidelines very well.  Just expect to have better quality scoresheets from the NHC compared to smaller comps. My whole reason for entering this comp was for quality judging feedback, which in the past I have always got quality scoresheets that help me improve on my beers. Really debating if I want to enter my beers in the NHC again, if I do I won't be sending them to the same region again.  I was very happy with this beer and so were all of my friends that tried it and in the end thats all that matters.

Offline johnf

• Brewer
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2011, 03:34:44 pm »
That's my impression, the NHC is not the competition to enter for feedback. The first rounds have decent judging but you can find regional comps with better judging and lower entry fees. The second round uses the checklist scoresheet which I am not a fan of. One of my beers last year scored a 38, not a word written on the sheet, none of the boxes checked were negative. Not upset about the score, I'm happy to score 38 in what was probably a very strong group of beers, but the scoresheet isn't helpful.

My two other beers scored a bit higher and made mini-bos, those scoresheets both had some writing and the feedback was pretty good. So you can write a good checklist scoresheet, I just don't think it always happens.

Offline dtblank

• Cellarman
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2011, 03:56:54 pm »
Yeah your right about it probably not being the best comp for feedback, but do think that in a National comp, one would think that your would at least get one certified judge to score your beer.  I've entered this comp many of times with multiple beers and have always had at least 1 certified judge score my beers.  I know it could have been just the luck of the draw or just not enough certified judges in that region, but would think that they would spread out the certified judges so that everyones entries has at least one certified judge.  I always take my scoresheets that I get back from a certified judge more serious than I do from non-certified judges just because you know that they have taken the bjcp class/ test, whereas with a non-certified judge you have no idea what their experience level is.  I know some non-certified judges that know more about judging than some certified judges, so I'm in no way trying to bash non-certified judges.  Just think that some regions were not quite as prepared this year as they have been in the past.

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2011, 06:28:55 pm »
I realize that the quality/level of the first round judging varies from region to region and maybe I just got lucky.  But I entered my three beers in Indianapolis and each of them was judged by one National judge and one Certified/Recognized judge.  I was pretty happy with the feedback I received.  Just wanted to relate a positive experience. 
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline johnf

• Brewer
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2011, 02:51:28 am »
I realize that the quality/level of the first round judging varies from region to region and maybe I just got lucky.  But I entered my three beers in Indianapolis and each of them was judged by one National judge and one Certified/Recognized judge.  I was pretty happy with the feedback I received.  Just wanted to relate a positive experience. 

Sure, but you can get the same quality of judging, or better, at UMMO, for example. The NHC first round doesn't have the highest quality of judging, at best it is comparable to a very good regional competition. The second round uses checkbox scoresheets so you don't get anything close to the full descriptive power of the high ranked judges used there.