Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dark Beet Sugar Candi  (Read 1668 times)

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
Dark Beet Sugar Candi
« on: May 06, 2011, 11:00:49 am »
For my birthday this year I was given a 5 gallon Brewcraft kit for  Rogue's Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout (RSOS).  I wasn't all that excited about it at first but when I finally got around to preparing to brew it I was intrigued by a new ingredient the kit contained that I had not used before; dark beet sugar candi.  Straight, I prefered it's flavor to cane table sugar (which I hate in my coffee so I have a hard time with the notion of adding it to my beers).  I went to the LHBS to get enough ingredients to amp up the batch to 6.5 gallon fermentation volume and brewed it up. I expected to like the final results but not have this beer reach favorite tap status.  Once again I am happily incorrect as this beer is outstanding and going fast. Even the Brewmistress and her minions dig it.  I've caught myself "rinsing" my weekend coffe cup with a bit of the Billy Shakes as we affectionately refer to it. 

Yes, well to the point. sorry.  I've been looking for some good RSOS clone recipes to do my second AG batch with and I'm finding that none seem to call for dark beet candi sugar. This concerns me for a couple reasons. One, I really want something very close to what we produced with the extract kit and candi sugar. Two, since this kit product seemed "licensed" ie, the Rogue logo and Shakespeare label were all over the box I assume that the Rogue brewers had something to say about the ingredients that went into the kit.  Is there a reason that one would want to use the beet candi sugar in an extract kit and not in an all grain clone recipe?
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Dark Beet Sugar Candi
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 11:04:58 am »
The only thing I can think of is that the extract is less fermentable (potentially at least) than the same wort done all grain so the sugar might be there to lighten up the body of the beer. I would think though that you could pump up the mash temp to get a less fermentable grain portion of the wort and then add the beet sugar to lighten it up again. just a thought. Havn't had that beer either so I can't speak to the body.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 11:20:14 am »
I assume that the Rogue brewers had something to say about the ingredients that went into the kit.

Knowing the guy who designed the kit, all I can (tactfully) say is don't assume that.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 11:30:21 am »
Hmmm, so maybe my best bet at AG duplication is to try to convert the recipe I used from extract to AG using Beersmith or something similar?
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified