Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New Mash Tun  (Read 3079 times)

Offline tonyp

• Brewmaster
  • If it ain't broke you aren't trying hard enough...
New Mash Tun
« on: May 06, 2011, 01:40:02 pm »
Brought some homebrew over to a buddy's house last week and started talking about going all-grain. I mentioned that I was going to purchase a coleman cooler for the mash tun conversion and he says "I think i have an extra, you can have it!". I know it isn't blue, but it was free!

So since I saved about $40 not buying the cooler, I decided that instead of going the DiY route I bought a SS Ball Valve Kit from Northern Brewer. Can't wait to give it a go!

I took some picts:

Live from the Jersey Shore!

Phrases for Creatives, #22:
"I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter."

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: New Mash Tun
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 03:35:52 pm »
Congrats on the score Tony! That'll make great beer. May not be blue, and that's all good it's a Coleman... :D
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline ibru

• Assistant Brewer
  • Brew Day is My Day!
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 03:46:24 pm »
I'd keep bring 'brew that guy's place... Nice score!

Isn't it a light blue?

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 04:02:20 pm »
The handle is blue, so I think your efficiencies will be ever as good as Denny's.   :D

After looking at your pics, I think I'm going to switch from the round 10 gallon cooler to the rectangular cooler soon in order to decrease my grain bed height (and eliminate compaction/lautering issues I've noticed on my high-gravity brews).  Thanks for the internal shot--I have a 12 inch Bazooka, as well.  It looks perfect in that cooler.  Let us know how it works for you.

Offline JKL

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 04:10:01 pm »
Nice MT! It looks really familiar (aside from the color, that is)  ;) I got to mash in my new 70qt 2 weeks ago and now I wish I had switched to a rectangular cooler along time ago.  Soooo much nicer than the old round Gott.  Plus with a new mill my efficiency went up almost 15%, and that was on a 8% beer with an OG of 1.073.  You're gonna love it!  Brew on!
-J.K.L.  

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 08:00:40 pm »
It's the same cooler as the 70 qt extreme, just white. It's the marine version. same cooler, different color. I just ordered one from amazon yesterday! 8)
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

Offline Malticulous

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2011, 08:32:50 pm »
I have that cooler. I found it in the middle of a road. I'd convert it if I needed more than 11 gallons of 1.070 wort. My Coleman 52 works perfect for me.

Offline tonyp

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2011, 09:00:10 pm »
Thanks guys, its a Coleman 70-qt Extreme, its just silver. My buddy only used it at the beach for beer/ice. He said its a few years old but honestly, it looks brand new, I hardly had to clean it at all, but I still soaked it in oxyclean and scrubbed it all down.

BTW, anyone that wants to buy the same ball valve kit, I bought the regular bulkhead but it was a really tight fit and I had to leave off the brass nut so that the ball valve assembly would even catch on the threads. It leaked and the valve handle hit the sidewall of the cooler so it wouldn't open all the way. I called Northern Brewer and they sent out the XL bulkhead and now it all fits and works perfectly. So make sure you order the XL Cooler Bulkhead.

I'm excited to do my first all-grain batch, hopefully this weekend!

Cheers!
Tony

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2011, 10:04:43 pm »

That's great! Good luck, happy brewing!  What is your first all grain brew?
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2011, 09:06:16 am »
For those contemplating a similar conversion, I'll mention that I get better draining by not using a bulkhead.  Using my funky mini keg bung and piece of tubing allows for a better siphon and more complete draining.  YMMV.

Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2011, 10:42:00 am »
I used to use a mini-keg bung setup in my 48 qt mash tun.  When I upgraded to the 70 qt xtreme I tried to use it and the wall was too thick for it so I went with a bulkhead.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline tonyp

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2011, 10:58:34 am »

That's great! Good luck, happy brewing!  What is your first all grain brew?

Doesn't look like its going to happen this weekend with mother's day and all, but I was thinking of making a Cream Stout.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2011, 11:41:39 am »
I used to use a mini-keg bung setup in my 48 qt mash tun.  When I upgraded to the 70 qt xtreme I tried to use it and the wall was too thick for it so I went with a bulkhead.

Makes sense to me.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2011, 01:20:40 pm »
Nice score! Nice setup. You're rockin' now. I've got the same cooler set up w/ a manifold. Blue coolers may give better efficiency but silver coolers make more flavorful beer...   ;)
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member