Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Need some help choosing the right yeast  (Read 2128 times)

Offline nicomiranda

• 1st Kit
Need some help choosing the right yeast
« on: April 18, 2011, 11:17:50 pm »
good evening folks,
  my name is Nico Miranda, i am looking to brew my first batch of homebrew.  i already have my ingredient kit picked out.  i have decided to go with Jim Rossi's Honey Pale Ale - Extract Beer Kit - Item#: KIT710.  i am looking for a yeast that will go great with a honey type pale ale.  does anyone have any recommendations?  dry yeast or liquid yeast?  california yeast or english ale yeast?  please help me, i really want to get my first batch going as soon as possible.  thank you in advance for any help.

here is the link to the ingredient kit i want to get.
https://morebeer.com/view_product/18417/beerwinecoffee/Jim_Rossis_Honey_Pale_Ale_-_Extract_Beer_Kit

Nico Miranda
California Castaway
www.californiacastaway.com

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Need some help choosing the right yeast
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 11:40:58 pm »
He suggests WLP002 so I'd go with that. BTW it's a great yeast but you must ferment in the 60's. If you don't want to do a starter the S-04 dry yeast is pretty good as well.

Good luck on the first brew and welcome to the AHA forum. Start thinking on how you want to control your fermentation temps. Ask lots of questions days before you start brewing. You'll get quick answers.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

beveragebob

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 12:09:51 am »
Everything Euge just said. Go for it!

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 08:56:10 am »
If you don't have good fermentation temp control, I agree with using the S-04.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline nicomiranda

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 02:42:57 pm »
thank you so much for the quick responses.  i think im going to go with the dry yeast, since this is my first brew and i have no clue how i would control my temp.  thanks again guys.

Nick Miranda
California Castaway

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 04:55:59 pm »
thank you so much for the quick responses.  i think im going to go with the dry yeast, since this is my first brew and i have no clue how i would control my temp.  thanks again guys.

Nick Miranda
California Castaway

The quick and dirty temp control is a big rubbermade bin that your fermenter will fit in, filled with water and frozen plastic soda bottles of ice depending on your climate you can even get away with a tee shirt over the fermenter and kept wet.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline nicomiranda

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 05:15:42 pm »
thanks for all the help guys.  I decided to go with Honey Pale Ale extract kit and the White Labs English Ale Liquid Yeast.  this is my first brew so please wish me luck.  and once again.  thanks for all the help.

Nick Miranda
California Castaway