Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sinmar  (Read 2032 times)

Offline pyrite

• Brewer
  • Davis, CA
Sinmar
« on: May 06, 2011, 10:35:59 pm »
I poured a 3-4oz bottle of Sinmar color changer into my 5 gal pilsner with out boiling it, and it caused an infection in my beer.  I've never gotten an unexpected infection in my beers and I should have know better and boiled it. 

Will boiling Sinmar change the flavor?  I should have boiled it... As of now adding 3-4oz of Sinmar to a 5 gal batch of pilsner adds a roasty chalky flavor to the already crisp dry lager and produces a murky brown color.  The infection hasn't changed the flavor much, but it has dried it out past the final gravity and leads to an even drier carbonic bite contribution (it's bottled). 

Please contribute your sinmar experiences.
If you don't get in over your head, how are you ever going to know how tall you are.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Sinmar
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 09:02:37 am »
Nope, boiling Sinamar doesn't change the flavor.  90% of the time I use it I add it to the boil.  When I use it post boil, I add it to a bit of water and boil it in the microwave before adding it to the beer.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline pyrite

• Brewer
  • Davis, CA
Re: Sinmar
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 09:25:40 am »
Nope, boiling Sinamar doesn't change the flavor.  90% of the time I use it I add it to the boil.  When I use it post boil, I add it to a bit of water and boil it in the microwave before adding it to the beer.

Clearly that's what I should of done.
If you don't get in over your head, how are you ever going to know how tall you are.