Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pre-planning a Harvest Ale... Please help.  (Read 6699 times)

Offline hariii2

• 1st Kit
Pre-planning a Harvest Ale... Please help.
« on: May 07, 2011, 07:27:33 am »
Hey, I am trying to make plans for my brewclub to come to my hop yard and brew up a Harvest Ale this fall.  (after THEY pick all the hops we will need  ;))  I have Centennial, Cascade, Chinook, Willamette, Magnum, and Nugget.  We have discussed brewing an American IPA, maybe a IIPA, 50 to 70 gallons.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
hari

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
Re: Pre-planning a Harvest Ale... Please help.
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 04:42:45 pm »
My house IPA is bittered with Magnums at 60, and then I do Cascade at each 15 min interval. I absolutly love it. I typically aim for around 70 IBU's.
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

jaybeerman

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 09:46:34 pm »
I assume that you are refering to wet hopping the beer(s), is that correct?  If so make sure that you use 5 to 6 times more hops (by weight) than you normally would for your flavor and aroma additions and then bitter with your regular dried bittering hops.  If you really have enough hops to make 70 gallons, my vote would be to divise hop combos and make 3 or 4 different versions of IPA and a couple IIPA versions.

Or make a wet-hop single-hop IPA with each hop variety and then have a club discussion about the character of each hop variety.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 12:20:42 am »
I assume that you are refering to wet fresh hopping the beer(s), is that correct?  If so make sure that you use 5 to 6 times more hops (by weight) than you normally would for your flavor and aroma additions and then bitter with your regular dried bittering hops.  If you really have enough hops to make 70 gallons, my vote would be to divise hop combos and make 3 or 4 different versions of IPA and a couple IIPA versions.

Or make a wetfresh-hop single-hop IPA with each hop variety and then have a club discussion about the character of each hop variety.
Dammit jay, there's no such thing as wet hops.  If they are fresh picked off the bine, they are fresh.  Ok, if you sauce them they may be wet, but who sauces their hops before putting them in the boil?

Yes, use 5-6 times the weight of fresh hops as dried hops, but I say use them for bittering too.  You won't know the IBUs for sure so it's a bit of a crap shoot but that's half the fun.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 10:12:09 am »
Is too such a thing! Soon as you toss the hops in the wort, it becomes a wet hop. Therefore, I proclaim all beers wet hopped.

jaybeerman

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 12:34:43 pm »
Dammit jay, there's no such thing as wet hops.  If they are fresh picked off the bine, they are fresh.  Ok, if you sauce them they may be wet, but who sauces their hops before putting them in the boil?

Yes, use 5-6 times the weight of fresh hops as dried hops, but I say use them for bittering too.  You won't know the IBUs for sure so it's a bit of a crap shoot but that's half the fun.

Apparently you've never picked fresh hops, if you had you'd know that they are quite WET (umm roughly 5 to 6 times more moisture) compaired to the dried hops that we use most of the time.  I never waste my perfectly fresh and delicious WET hops on bittering additions but that's just me.  :-*  :)

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 12:45:28 pm »
Yeah, I learned that lesson my first batch of wet hop. So many hops, and so much work harvesting them, wasted for nothing. I pledged from that first pint on, to never bitter with wet hops again.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 12:26:14 am »
I've picked plenty of fresh hops in my day, but never any wet ones.  Maybe I'm just smart enough to do it when it's not raining. :)  They are no wetter than the fresh berries, apples, peppers, beans, peas, etc that I grow and pick every year.  All very nice fresh, none of them wet unless I wash a little dirt off of them.  ;)
Tom Schmidlin

jaybeerman

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 01:57:58 pm »
Yeah, I learned that lesson my first batch of wet hop. So many hops, and so much work harvesting them, wasted for nothing. I pledged from that first pint on, to never bitter with wet hops again.

smart man  

I've picked plenty of fresh hops in my day, but never any wet ones.  Maybe I'm just smart enough to do it when it's not raining. :)  They are no wetter than the fresh berries, apples, peppers, beans, peas, etc that I grow and pick every year.  All very nice fresh, none of them wet unless I wash a little dirt off of them.  ;)

Tom I understand that you don't like my terminology.  If something has 5 times the moisture weight than it normally would (because they're normally dried) it could easily be called wet.  The opposite of dry according to you is FRESH, but I'll stick with the term WET.  Thanks punk  ;D

<edit>  i guess fresh vs. dried works for pretty well for fruit
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 04:00:53 pm by jaybeerman »

jaybeerman

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2011, 04:03:30 pm »
Maybe I'm just smart enough to do it when it's not raining.

:D  sometimes you're an ass.  still funny though

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2011, 04:50:28 pm »
Maybe I'm just smart enough to do it when it's not raining.

:D  sometimes you're an ass.  still funny though
Only sometimes? ;D

<edit>  i guess fresh vs. dried works for pretty well for fruit
This has always been my point.  Fresh or dried is how we refer to fruit and herbs (no one says "I make my pizza with wet basil").  And really, fresh hops are at most a little damp, they're no more wet than fresh cut flowers.

Nevermind that you could theoretically dry hop with wet hops (say what?), perhaps most importantly to me, "wet hops" doesn't sound good to me at all.  It is really just unappetizing. :-\
Tom Schmidlin

jaybeerman

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2011, 06:46:04 pm »
what was that antonym for the word dry?  oh yeah, WET  :)

ok hariii2 you can have your thread back, have fun with your hop harvest

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2011, 12:07:52 am »
what was that antonym for the word dry?  oh yeah, WET  :)
But the hops I use aren't dry.  They're dried.  As in NOT FRESH. ;D

Giving up, eh? ;)
Tom Schmidlin

jaybeerman

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2011, 09:40:42 am »
But the hops I use aren't dry.  They're dried.  As in NOT FRESH. ;D

Giving up, eh? ;)

oh i thought everyone agreed WET was better
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 10:32:44 am by jaybeerman »

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2011, 10:20:59 am »
Giving up, eh? ;)

oh i thought everyone agreed WET was better
I can think of a few cases where that is true, just not this one.  100% of the people I've asked today agree that FRESH is the way to go. ;D
Tom Schmidlin