Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Poll

Temp controlled chest for fermenting

yes
13 (92.9%)
no
1 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: Temp Controlled Chest  (Read 1656 times)

Offline hiphophead

• Cellarman
Temp Controlled Chest
« on: May 11, 2011, 03:20:11 pm »
I built an insulated chest that can store 4 carboys and also has temp control, to a certain extent. i.e i use a johnson controls a419 controller and a smace heater.  Anyways the temp of the thermometer in the box is 60 62.  So if i want a fermentation at 62 degrees max temp should i pitch at 58 degrees so as it rises the 3 degrees or whatever it hits that temp then the box will keep it there.  How do i properly control the fermentation temp so im not peaking high 60s to 70 degrees?

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
Re: Temp Controlled Chest
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 03:24:50 pm »
I'm moving to a place in August without central air or a basement, so I plan to buy a chest freezer and get a digital johnson controller for fermentation.  I've been watching Craigslist for a good 12-15 cu ft chest freezer for cheap.  I missed the boat on one a couple months ago, but I wasn't ready to buy one yet.  So I'd say look on your local craigslist and see if you can pick up a chest freezer to use your johnson controller with.
Jesse

Offline JKL

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 03:44:20 pm »
I bought one of these.  I've only used it twice but it seems to be working great.  I have 11 gal of O'fest  (Two 6.5gal carboys) in a chest freezer at 50F deg as we speak.  I set my controller to a 2 deg variance. I took someone else's advice and used a carboy cap.  I put the thermowell in the angled tube and an airlock in the straight in the top.

http://www.brewershardware.com/16-Stainless-Steel-Thermowell.html

-J.K.L.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 04:44:07 pm »
I recently bought a 7cu chest freezer and it will hold two 7.9 gallon fermenters. Used to use a very large insulated tote and would swap out frozen water bottles or ice-packs twice a day.

Your challenge is keeping it warm. Most flows have the opposite problem.  ;)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 08:46:59 pm »
I recently bought a 7cu chest freezer and it will hold two 7.9 gallon fermenters. Used to use a very large insulated tote and would swap out frozen water bottles or ice-packs twice a day.

Your challenge is keeping it warm. Most flows have the opposite problem.  ;)
Keeping it warm isn't a problem unless it's in a garage where it gets cold.  But if it's in your house and never gets below the temp inside the freezer, the temp controller is fine.  If you're house is 70 all the time or warmer the chest freezer will be good to go with the johnson.
Jesse