Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: The wonder of stirplates. I wonder why my fermentations now SUCK!  (Read 4279 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: The wonder of stirplates. I wonder why my fermentations now SUCK!
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2011, 06:06:31 am »
I agree, a huge vortex is not needed. The main problem being it becomes much easier to throw the stir bar.

Offline Tim McManus

• Assistant Brewer
    • Haskell Brewing Company
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2011, 06:45:32 am »
I think you overpitched.

I use 1600mL on a 12-gallon batch, so using 2L on a 6-gallon seems to be a bit much.

I had a Belgian Golden Strong Ale that we made a few months ago.  Made a starter and everything seemed okay.  Pitched the starter and fermentation was sluggish.  I had to repitch another starter to get it to ferment out.  When it was done even gelatin couldn't get all of the yeast out of suspension.  I haven't figured out what could have caused the problem, but more than likely it was low initial fermentation temperature for the yeast I was using (thanks, 20/20 hindsight).

I suggest making your starter at the temperature you're going to pitch it and make a smaller starter, something along the lines of 600mL - 1L tops.  I usually pitch 18 hours after I make the starter without cold crashing or decanting.
Tim McManus
Haskell, NJ

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2011, 09:05:59 am »
I suggest making your starter at the temperature you're going to pitch it and make a smaller starter, something along the lines of 600mL - 1L tops.  I usually pitch 18 hours after I make the starter without cold crashing or decanting.

All of which is exactly the opposite of what I do and I have no issues.  I make all starters at room temp without regard to the temp of the beer.  I make 2-3 qt. starters.  I let them go for 3 days, crash and decant.  All of which is to say that there's more than one way to make great beer.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline zorch

• Cellarman
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2011, 09:40:56 am »

zorch,
I used to  shake and pitch at high kruesen, 8-12hrs.
So 24hrs is too short for good build up on a stirplate?  What do you do? Pitch a whole 2L starter at onceafter 24 hrs or wait 4-7days to fully ferment out. 

In most cases, and always if the starter is > 1.25 liters or so, then I'll let it go for about 4 days, then stick it in the fridge for 2-3 days, decant the starter wort and pitch the yeast.   

I will sometimes pitch the whole starter if it's around 1L.  In that case, I usually try to shoot for 12-18 hours.   

Offline Tim McManus

• Assistant Brewer
    • Haskell Brewing Company
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2011, 09:52:57 am »

All of which is exactly the opposite of what I do and I have no issues.  I make all starters at room temp without regard to the temp of the beer.  I make 2-3 qt. starters.  I let them go for 3 days, crash and decant.  All of which is to say that there's more than one way to make great beer.

Prior to using a stir plate we used to make 1.5 - 2 gallons of starter for each 12-gallon batch.  We bought a 3-gallon carboy just to do starters in.  But since using a stir plate is more efficient and produces better results, we were able to trim down our starter to 1.4L per 12-gallon batch.

And I agree there's more than one way to make great beer!  I wonder if I have enough time in my life to try them all...
Tim McManus
Haskell, NJ

Offline andyi

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2011, 06:45:10 pm »
Great info everyone.  

I will increase time on the stirplate and see if that solves it.