Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Vote! Only hours left!  (Read 6841 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Vote! Only hours left!
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2011, 11:22:03 am »
I hear great things about Portland and hope to get there in the next few years, however one friend said if you want a hoppy beer you can get one anywhere in the area, but if you want something else you are SOL ;)

There are lots of great hoppy beers here, but the variety and innovation of others shouldn't get overlooked.  For instance, there's a little known brewery named Heater Allen, making nothing but lagers, all of them outstanding.  Not to mention Hair of the Dog, making basically unqualifiable styles all of which are incredible.

Lemme know if you ever decide to head to Asheville and if it's a couple of years down the road by then I'll probably have a place for you to stay just down the road.

I'd love to take you up on that as long as I don't have to get a haircut!  ;)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Online MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2011, 11:35:39 am »
You'd fit right in...Asheville's got about 100 motto's. One is "Something for everyone", another is "Where Weird is Normal". I think the official one is "any way you like it"...http://www.exploreasheville.com/index.aspx
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2011, 11:37:27 am »
I'd love to take you up on that as long as I don't have to get a haircut!  ;)

You could get away with just trimming the front/sides and leave the rest.  Then your new mullet would blend right in :)
Joe

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2011, 11:42:26 am »
Denny, Asheville is a great town and it's kinda like the Portland of the East in some ways. Lots of laid back people, very much an art town. Great hiking and beautiful backdrop for beer and food. One of my favorite places to go on the east coast.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2011, 11:45:07 am »
Sounds cool!  Hopefully I can get there one of these days and you and Mike can show me around.  Then I can repay the favor when you guys come to OR!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2011, 12:06:23 pm »
Asheville is, indeed, a fantastic beer town.  I go every summer to visit two of my friends from high school who live there - I'll be heading up labor day weekend.

Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2011, 12:13:26 pm »
I don't think there's any doubt that Ashville is a great beer town.  The question is, is it the "best"?  I think that's where I might differ.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2011, 12:42:05 pm »
Maybe if everyone inn Portland would put down the dewbage and log on to vote they'd win every once in a while. :P

Online MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2011, 01:26:30 pm »
What is amazing to me about Asheville is every time a brewery opens they seem to meet with success. You'd think they would eventually surpass demand, but that isn't the case. It's a thirsty place...

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2011, 01:29:42 pm »
I hear great things about Portland and hope to get there in the next few years, however one friend said if you want a hoppy beer you can get one anywhere in the area, but if you want something else you are SOL ;)

There are lots of great hoppy beers here, but the variety and innovation of others shouldn't get overlooked.  For instance, there's a little known brewery named Heater Allen, making nothing but lagers, all of them outstanding.  Not to mention Hair of the Dog, making basically unqualifiable styles all of which are incredible.
You left out the sour beers coming out of Cascade. ;)  Really amazing stuff.

I haven't been to Asheville or San Diego, so I can't include them in my list.  But Portland is better than Seattle is better than Denver in my opinion.  I know some Portland people who would put Seattle first, so I think it is pretty close.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2011, 01:45:46 pm »
You left out the sour beers coming out of Cascade. ;)  Really amazing stuff.

Tried anything from Gilgamesh in Salem?  VERY different, unusual beers, all of them sour.

www.dennybrew.com

Online MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2011, 01:56:14 pm »
Sour in a good way or in a Cisco (Nantucket) way?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2011, 01:58:23 pm »
Sour in a good way or in a Cisco (Nantucket) way?

In a VERY good way!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2011, 02:10:39 pm »
I didn't vote this time. 
I was tempted to go with Philly, one of my favorite pub cities, but Tom said it was meaningless.
One day maybe I'll get to spend some time in Asheville to check it out.  It sounds really great. 
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2011, 02:19:53 pm »
VERY different, unusual beers, all of them sour.

I've been to places like that.  They should clean their lines more often.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong