Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Anyone brew a Kolsch style (WLP029) with Vienna instead of Pils?  (Read 2575 times)

Offline dee

• Cellarman
I have a lot of Vienna, Munich and wheat on hand and wanted to try something different.  Kolsch seems to be a yeast defined style so I was wondering if anyone else has had success with a non-pils based version.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: Anyone brew a Kolsch style (WLP029) with Vienna instead of Pils?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 10:55:19 am »
It would probably taste very good but it will give the beer a reddish color. If you're okay with a darker color and a more toasty aspect to the malt profile then go for it. Keep in mind that the classic fruitiness achieved from the Kolsch yeast will be slightly covered up by the Vienna toast aspect. Let us know how it turns out if you decide to go with the Vienna malt.
Ron Price

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 12:27:19 pm »
I think you're better off making a pseudo-Vienna using Kolsch yeast and Vienna malt than trying to make a Kolsch using Vienna malt.

It might be very good, but it won't be anything like a Kolsch.  The flavor and appearance will be totally different.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 01:32:55 pm »
Totally agree - it will be more like a Vienna Style lager or Fest type beer but won't taste anything like a kolsch. Would be very tasty, just not very "kolschy".