Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Why I'm an AHA member (and why you should be too)  (Read 7718 times)

Offline zacbwb

• Cellarman
Re: Why I'm an AHA member (and why you should be too)
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2011, 09:53:36 am »
I have paid off my membership about 10 times over with the 10% discount at Northern Brewer in St. Paul.

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2011, 10:28:21 am »
I have paid off my membership about 10 times over with the 10% discount at Northern Brewer in St. Paul.
I discovered recently that they'll give the discount with online orders as well. Just provide your membership number in the comments field of the order form, or call them after you place the order. I'm pretty sure my membership will have paid itself off with my next order.
Mark Gres

Offline glastctbrew

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2011, 10:50:01 am »
I discovered recently that they'll give the discount with online orders as well. Just provide your membership number in the comments field of the order form, or call them after you place the order. I'm pretty sure my membership will have paid itself off with my next order.

Thanks for the tip regarding online orders, that will save a bunch of cash!
Scott
Still Hill Brewery

Offline scooter2374

• Cellarman
  • Highlands, NJ
    • Scotty's Homebrew blog
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2011, 06:45:23 pm »
I joined up before I even brewed my first batch. I figured it couldn't possibly be a bad thing
AHA member since '10

Offline dano14041

• Brewer
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2011, 07:11:26 pm »
I joined up before I even brewed my first batch. I figured it couldn't possibly be a bad thing

+1

I also thought you had to be a member to get into the forum. Nobody would give all this good advice away for free!  ::)
Tulsa, OK

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2011, 07:19:42 pm »
Nobody would give all this good advice away for free!  ::)

AHA members do! Even more reason to join...
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2011, 08:47:58 pm »
One of my "other" hats is as a writer/essayist. In one writing group I managed, I remember one writer commenting, "What a great place America is, to have such a thing as an association of homebrewers."

When you think about it, so true. And I am active in my work-related association, also very satisfying for me, but I really love the congeniality of AHA. When I'm asked about homebrewers, I describe us as a largely peaceful, agrarian group. We help malted barley become beer.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline colinhayes

• Cellarman
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2011, 02:46:40 pm »
People in Chicago have no excuse.  The discount at brew & grow and the Goose brewpub pay for the membership REAL quick.

Offline joelambic

• Cellarman
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2011, 03:37:59 pm »
People in Chicago have no excuse.  The discount at brew & grow and the Goose brewpub pay for the membership REAL quick.

The Chicago area has quite a few pubs that are part of the Pub Discount Program: Goose Island, Rock Bottom, Gordon Biersch, Flossmoor Station, Haymarket, Luck Monk, Mickey Finn's, and even Granite City.  Just bear in mind that Illinois' anti-Happy Hour law does not permit discounts on alcohol unless they are for everyone and for the entire day.  That being said, I do know a few places on the above list that some how manage to apply the discount to the entire order.

Many of the Chicago area clubs have AHA Evangaleists that can offer slight discounts on memberships.  If you attend one of the club meetings just ask one of the club officers.  FYI, I am one for the Chicago Beer Society but have also signed people up who are members of other area clubs.  PM me if you can't locate someone.

Joe

Offline colinhayes

• Cellarman
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2011, 04:01:33 pm »
That being said, I do know a few places on the above list that some how manage to apply the discount to the entire order.
yup, goose does 20% on the entire order (not sure how they get around that), which makes up the $38 REAL quick.  haymarket did 20% on food when I went there.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2011, 12:10:51 am »
The pub discount program is not available in WA state for a variety of stupid reason I won't go into.  The point is that is obviously not why I'm a member.

I'm a member because I love zymurgy and Zymurgy, and nothing beats the conference.  But beyond that, I think it is really important to have a strong AHA to make sure that our rights as homebrewers are protected, from Oregon's problems in the last year to Alabama's current mess.  Even if the AHA can only supply statistics, a point of reference, and expert advice, that is invaluable when it comes to growing the hobby, improving the beer in any area, and passing legislation.

It's great that so many people see a value in the pub discount program, but there is a lot more to be gained from the AHA than just that.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline mxstar21

• Cellarman
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2011, 03:56:00 am »
I joined because it seems like a great organization.  I signed up initially for 3 years, my next renewal will be a lifetime renewal.  I don't really get too many benefits since I live in Hawaii.  Not a big deal though.  My first issue of Zymurgy was awesome, plus I like the fact I have access to many more competitions.  If you are a home-brewer, you should join the organization that fights for your rights.

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2011, 11:48:29 am »
I wish I knew there was a NB discount a few days ago. I could have saved 9 bucks.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2011, 11:52:40 am »
I wish I knew there was a NB discount a few days ago. I could have saved 9 bucks.
Dammit!!!  I forgot, my order arrived yesterday.  Next time maybe I'll remember.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2011, 12:47:55 pm »
Dammit!!!  I forgot, my order arrived yesterday.  Next time maybe I'll remember.

I ordered a new burner from them and just used the discount for the first time.  5% IIRC.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell