Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Alabama Homebrew Legalization 2011 = Failed  (Read 19564 times)

Offline tommeier

• 1st Kit
Re: Alabama Homebrew Legalization 2011 = Failed
« Reply #90 on: May 02, 2011, 03:48:40 pm »
Sorry been kinda busy lately. Power outage, helping folks get their lives back in order.   There was a tornado perhaps you heard?

On subject though, firstly regarding me coming on here and admit i homebrew in no way jeipardizes me.  ABC does not actively persue prosecution.  Nor will the DA.   There have been ATF raids with teams of people who storm in to bust a supposed meth lab (turned in by a tipster) only to realize it is a homebrewing setup and they just shrug their shoulders and walk away..  A brewer was on the front page of the LA times with his brew rig behind him and only got a written warning that it is illegal (in their opinion).    They know they are on very shaky ground legally.    I met the lawyer for ABC.   He said to me this law would be good because it would clarify things and "help us with enforcement", whatever that means.   We have spoken in Montgomery to committees, they could have easily nabbed us all then..   There are legislators who have privately admitted they brew or make wine, and many more that have friends and family that do.   They didn't know it was illegal in the states opinion.

So while I appreciate the earlier poster's concern for my well being, I don't need advice on what and where I can post about brewing.  It is silly, and suggesting that I should "watch it" only further fans the flames of legitimacy for the opposition.. They would love nothing more than to have us all cower in fear and admit we are true criminals.   I sir personally refuse that suggestion.
Posted from Alabama: Where homebrewing is considered illegal only because there is no law specifically making it legal (Lovett v. State, 1943).  A backwards state, literally and figuratively.

ccarlson

« Reply #91 on: May 03, 2011, 06:56:56 am »
Sorry been kinda busy lately. Power outage, helping folks get their lives back in order.   There was a tornado perhaps you heard?

On subject though, firstly regarding me coming on here and admit i homebrew in no way jeipardizes me.  ABC does not actively persue prosecution.  Nor will the DA.   There have been ATF raids with teams of people who storm in to bust a supposed meth lab (turned in by a tipster) only to realize it is a homebrewing setup and they just shrug their shoulders and walk away..  A brewer was on the front page of the LA times with his brew rig behind him and only got a written warning that it is illegal (in their opinion).    They know they are on very shaky ground legally.    I met the lawyer for ABC.   He said to me this law would be good because it would clarify things and "help us with enforcement", whatever that means.   We have spoken in Montgomery to committees, they could have easily nabbed us all then..   There are legislators who have privately admitted they brew or make wine, and many more that have friends and family that do.   They didn't know it was illegal in the states opinion.

So while I appreciate the earlier poster's concern for my well being, I don't need advice on what and where I can post about brewing.  It is silly, and suggesting that I should "watch it" only further fans the flames of legitimacy for the opposition.. They would love nothing more than to have us all cower in fear and admit we are true criminals.   I sir personally refuse that suggestion.

Good luck and never piss off your neighbors. :)

Offline tommeier

• 1st Kit
« Reply #92 on: May 09, 2011, 11:52:24 am »

Link an audio file with the filibuster and floor debate on the issue:
https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B9UlhisD_R9QMTZlNzlmNzEtN2JmMC00MTU4LTljYWMtODIyNDU4NzYzODVk&hl=en&pli=1

Warning:  It is a 60 meg file and the debate lasted an hour or so.  Usually the floor debate does not change the votes, but in this case the legislators who reverse their support for the bill and voted no claimed they were influenced by the iron clad logic and scary examples posed by our detractors during the floor debate.   

If you have some time to kill, or just want a good "oh my God!" incredulous laugh accompanied by shock,, then listen and judge for yourself...    And if you have any friends or family in Alabama that would be sympathic to legalization, please get them involved for the 2012 legalization effort..   Ask them to add their email to the email newsletter list (receives very limited email, just a few per year)..  http://www.alahomebrewing.org/subscribe-to-newsletter

Posted from Alabama: Where homebrewing is considered illegal only because there is no law specifically making it legal (Lovett v. State, 1943).  A backwards state, literally and figuratively.

Offline brewphish

• 1st Kit
« Reply #93 on: May 09, 2011, 12:19:32 pm »
Wow, just wow.  Thankfully I'm in Ohio, but I sure wish there was something I could do to help out down there.  WTF is wrong with these people? 

Not only to I feel dumber for listening to that, but it was totally disheartening to hear the lack of education about homebrewing.  Oh, and holy crap - the dude preaching about Noah being a wine-o and then talking about going to a cocktail party later that night, ugh, makes my skin crawl just thinking about the ignorance and intolerance of these folks.

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #94 on: May 09, 2011, 12:33:27 pm »
Thankfully I'm in Ohio, but I sure wish there was something I could do to help out down there.  WTF is wrong with these people? 
You do know that some of these laws are being risen in Ohio that WILL have an impact on you. 

You should join the AHA because they are helping to preserve your rights, even in Ohio.

Fred
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline brewphish

• 1st Kit
« Reply #95 on: May 09, 2011, 01:00:18 pm »
Not to get too off topic, but no Fred, I wasn't aware of any proposed legislation that would restrict homebrewing.  It has been my understanding that Ohio laws only pertain to those who are manufacturing with the intent to sell.  Could you point me to any sources? 

Membership dues are paid ;)

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #96 on: May 09, 2011, 01:12:47 pm »
Ohio is looking to write a bill to legalize homebrew in licensed establishments for competitions, club meetings, etc.
Currently some clubs/events have been denied.  Similar to what happened in Oregon, and is happening elsewhere as well.

Just be ready to respond when a call to action is posted.

My point is not to hijack this thread, but to point out that stuff is happening that impacts many of us.

Now to make it legal to homebrew in Alabama and Mississippi . . . . . . . .
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 01:14:18 pm by bonjour »
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)