Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: APA With Falconers Flight Hops  (Read 4417 times)

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
APA With Falconers Flight Hops
« on: May 09, 2011, 10:04:22 am »
I brewed a batch yesterday, just a basic APA recipe with a good dose of this hop blend at 60,15, 5 and FO.  I'll also dry hop with it.

The hops smelled like they had Simcoe (that grapefruit with a slight onion note), which I see that they do.  Also Citra and Sorachi Ace.  Actually I've been using these in my APA blends for the last couple of years, just to get the grapefruit, tangerine, and lemon notes all at once.

I also read the story on this stuff, very cool.  Check it out.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: APA With Falconers Flight Hops
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 10:35:08 am »
I really like FF.  Too bad they probably won't be available in exactly the same form again.  Glen Falconer was a friend of mine, a great brewer and a truly nice guy.

Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline yugamrap

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 03:29:50 pm »
I really like FF.  Too bad they probably won't be available in exactly the same form again. 

Denny - by that do you mean the blend of varieties will likely be different from year to year, or just that the resulting blend of teh same varieties would vary with crop results (e.g., alpha, etc.)?
...it's liquid bread, it's good for you!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 04:04:56 pm »
A guy in my club is looking for some millennium hops, so he can combine them with the Falconer's flight hops and make a . . .

Millennium Falcon Jed IPA. :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline dano14041

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 05:20:18 pm »
A guy in my club is looking for some millennium hops, so he can combine them with the Falconer's flight hops and make a . . .

That is a good one!  :D
Tulsa, OK

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 12:17:20 am »

awesome

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 09:11:35 am »
I really like FF.  Too bad they probably won't be available in exactly the same form again. 

Denny - by that do you mean the blend of varieties will likely be different from year to year, or just that the resulting blend of teh same varieties would vary with crop results (e.g., alpha, etc.)?

For one thing, I haven't heard the Hop Union is even planning on doing the blend again.  For another, some of the hops ion the blend were experimental varieties and might not be available even if it's made again.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline yugamrap

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 11:00:28 pm »

For one thing, I haven't heard the Hop Union is even planning on doing the blend again.  For another, some of the hops ion the blend were experimental varieties and might not be available even if it's made again.

Figures - I really like how the IPA I brewed with FF turned out.  I guess I'll have to try to reverse-engineer a similar blend.
...it's liquid bread, it's good for you!

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2011, 07:07:29 am »
Cheers to this blend, and the tribute. I really like it and have my second batch on deck.

Personally, I think the idea of Hop Union blending proprietary hops into a single pellet is pure genius,
and hope they continue with the offering or something similar. 8)

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2011, 12:24:04 pm »
Cheers to this blend, and the tribute. I really like it and have my second batch on deck.

Personally, I think the idea of Hop Union blending proprietary hops into a single pellet is pure genius,
and hope they continue with the offering or something similar. 8)

I agree, I like experimenting with blends but this takes the guesswork out of it.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2011, 02:34:12 pm »
I dry-hopped this APA for a week and racked it to a keg last night, the FG sample smelled and tasted wonderful.  This will be on tap tomorrow, I'm really looking forward to it.  It'll really make for a memorable Memorial Day weekend.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO