Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Another pump question.  (Read 2563 times)

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
Another pump question.
« on: May 02, 2011, 06:05:42 pm »
 Think I will pull the trigger on a pump for the new brewery too. Definatly going to go with the March 809. I'm just curious, though, how do I got about sanirizing the pump and all my plumbing prior to brewing? I am pretty sure I will be investing in a plate chiller as well. So, prior to chilling, would I just run boiling wort through the system for 15 mins or so? Or, prior to brewing, just run Star San through it all?
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Another pump question.
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 07:04:31 pm »
I do a PBW then SS treatment in the fall (start on my brewing season).  Other than that, it all gets hooked up for a 15 minute recirc. while boiling.

I do not have a plate chiller.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

narvin

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 07:06:03 pm »
Think I will pull the trigger on a pump for the new brewery too. Definatly going to go with the March 809. I'm just curious, though, how do I got about sanirizing the pump and all my plumbing prior to brewing? I am pretty sure I will be investing in a plate chiller as well. So, prior to chilling, would I just run boiling wort through the system for 15 mins or so? Or, prior to brewing, just run Star San through it all?

I used to fill my mash tun with sanitizer and run it through the pump, tubing, and plate chiller into my fermentor prior to cooling.  The only issue with this is draining it all... it takes a bit of shaking of the therminator to get everything out.  I've started just recirculating from the kettle through everything and back in for the last minute of the boil.  This is much easier... you just need to make sure you have 212* safe tubing on everything.

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 07:20:16 pm »
  You mantion tubing.....That brings up another question....What are some options I have for plumbing? If the price is not to bad, I would like to have as much rigid as possible. Do I have to run SS, or is copper an option? Also, where can I find the high temp, food grade vinyl I would need?

narvin

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 07:49:57 pm »
Not sure about hard plumbing, Weaze, but this is the hi-temp tubing I use:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/1-2-id-thermoplastic-tubing.html

It's rigid and won't kink... the only disadvantage over the thinner kind is that you can't see through it.

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 08:44:58 pm »
Thanks man. Also, does the March work in fwd and rev?

narvin

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 08:59:52 pm »

Negatory... at least that I know of.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 09:20:48 pm »

Negatory... at least that I know of.
Just forward.
That thermoplastic tubing from NB is very good with good price.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2011, 04:44:23 pm »
Well that's just a bummer. Guess I will sit for hours at night now, drawing plumbing schematics.  ;D

Offline yugamrap

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011, 09:23:38 pm »
Well that's just a bummer. Guess I will sit for hours at night now, drawing plumbing schematics.  ;D
I use the same tubing from NB as posted above - it works great.  My system is not hard-plumbed (sorry no pictures).  I have brass quick disconnects from McMaster on my vessels and hoses.  All the vessels and my March 809 are valved and have the male (plug) half of the QD (McMaster #6739K59).  The female halves (coupler) of the QDs (McMaster #6739K68) are on the two hoses.  I have the ends of the hoses marked "IN" and "OUT."  The "IN" hose is connected to the inlet of the pump, and the "OUT" hose is connected to the pump outlet after a 1/2" valve.  I move the hoses as needed for the different stages of the brew day.  I just have to remember to use a glove to handle the brass QDs - they get hot.

As you've probably figured, there's no need to sanitize the pump or hoses before the boil kettle as long as you've cleaned them thoroughly after your last brew day.  I start recirculating boiling wort through the pump with 15 minutes left in the boil to sanitize.  I leave the recirculation going after flame-out to speed chilling with my immersion chiller - sort of a WIC approach. 
...it's liquid bread, it's good for you!

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2011, 09:29:57 pm »
I do like the QD idea. MAybe I will just do that for starters. Will get me going at least, then, I'll have a nice winter project. Who knows, by then, I might even decide to get a second pump.