Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Infusion v. Step-mashing  (Read 5188 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Infusion v. Step-mashing
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2011, 09:12:47 am »
This is something that I would like to start doing. I feel the body of my beers is a little thin and one-dimensional lately. Not sure what it could be but I'm wondering if doing a small step mash might help.

I also think a 90 minute, at minimum, boil will help create some depth to the flavor of my beer. Let us know what you think of the step mashing you just did when the beer is done.

I think you should try it and decide for yourself instead of taking someone else's word for it!  I haven't found any benefits to a step mash, but that's not to say you won't.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline sharg54

• 1st Kit
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2011, 12:37:20 pm »
Ive been step mashing from the time I started all grain brewing and have found that you don't need to start out at a low temp like 120 to 114 as you do trash your head retention and body of the brew. Or at least that is what I found to be the case and you don't have to be for that long of a time at the lower temps. Depending on what I'm using like rice or corn I'll start out at around 130 to 135 and only keep it there for about 15 to 20 minuets than kick it up to the next step. If I want a little more ABV  or body I'll adjust the heats and time schedule accordingly  If your making something like a stout or porter you will most defiantly trash the head and body by starting out below 130. I've tried a few single infusions but just don't like how the end product comes out. Just my taste.  I also use a mash out at 168 and have found it improves my efficiency as I think it helps make the surges less viscous so they pull out of the grain bed better.  On a porter for instance I will mash in at 135 just to get things started for about 15 minuets and than kick it up to 156 and hold it for full conversion than mash out at 168 for 10 minuets and than batch sparge. I end up with an ABV between 5 and 6 % and a good foamy head that slowly drops down to a nice thick lace around the glass, good body and flavor profile. With out the Mash out my efficiency drops form 82% to 76% so it defiantly helps out.

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2011, 11:45:41 am »
This is something that I would like to start doing. I feel the body of my beers is a little thin and one-dimensional lately. Not sure what it could be but I'm wondering if doing a small step mash might help.

I also think a 90 minute, at minimum, boil will help create some depth to the flavor of my beer. Let us know what you think of the step mashing you just did when the beer is done.

I think you should try it and decide for yourself instead of taking someone else's word for it!  I haven't found any benefits to a step mash, but that's not to say you won't.

I fully intend to try it myself, as everyone know, you learn best by doing. I just don't have the time right now to brew up a batch. Spring has sprung and so has the yard work  :P
Mike --- Flint, Michigan