Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: WLP001 vs Wyeast  (Read 8026 times)

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
WLP001 vs Wyeast
« on: May 01, 2011, 09:18:38 am »
I'm not gonna mention the Wyeast # because I don't want this to turn into another Rush discussion but are WLP001 and Wyeast California lager the same yeast?  I brewed the other day with WLP001 and right now things look very very similar in terms of how the yeast is acting.  Given that White Labs call theirs a California Ale and not a lager, I was thinking I'd see more aggressive fermentation and more krausen but right now, not much. 

Anyway, just wondering if there is any appreciable difference between the two.
Thanks

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: WLP001 vs Wyeast
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 09:19:58 am »
I'm not gonna mention the Wyeast # because I don't want this to turn into another Rush discussion but are WLP001 and Wyeast California lager the same yeast?  I brewed the other day with WLP001 and right now things look very very similar in terms of how the yeast is acting.  Given that White Labs call theirs a California Ale and not a lager, I was thinking I'd see more aggressive fermentation and more krausen but right now, not much. 

Anyway, just wondering if there is any appreciable difference between the two.
Thanks

They are completely different yeasts.  Comparing krausen really doesn't tell you anything.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 09:22:58 am »
WLP001 is the equivalent of WY1056. WLP810 (San Fran Lager) is the equivalent of WY2112 (California Lager).
Mark Gres

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 09:35:52 am »

They are completely different yeasts.  Comparing krausen really doesn't tell you anything.

That's what I wanted to know, thanks.  
I'm not really comparing krausen, I'm comparing lack of krausen which is what made me wonder.  This is looking more like a lager than an ale right now.  I know, I know RDWHAHB...
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 09:37:47 am by gmac »

Offline brewmasternpb

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 09:26:00 pm »
[
They are completely different yeasts.  Comparing krausen really doesn't tell you anything.
[/quote]

Really?  I thought they were both from Sierra Nevada?
Dave Malone
The Greater Denver Yeast Infection

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 09:14:02 am »
[

Really?  I thought they were both from Sierra Nevada?
[/quote]

Although they might have originally have had the same source, they seem to have developed subtle differences. 

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 10:07:41 am »
They are completely different yeasts.  Comparing krausen really doesn't tell you anything.

Really?  I thought they were both from Sierra Nevada?
The OP was talking about WLP001 vs. WY2112, which are completely different as Denny mentioned.  WLP001 and WY1056 are very similar and both originally reported to be from Sierra Nevada.  WY2112 and WLP810 are reported to be very similar, but I haven't used WLP810.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 10:18:01 am »
To my knowledge the WLP810 (San Fran Lager) and the equivalent, WY2112 (California Lager), should be the strain from Anchor brewing used in the Anchor Steam, although Fritz hates to call it a lager yeast! :P Wyeast American Ale II is reportedly the ale strain Anchor uses to make Liberty ale.

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 10:33:51 am »
I guess I've never considered CA common yeast to be a "true" lager yeast.  Tom, from the expert point of view, is it, or is it some weird halfway hybrid?

www.dennybrew.com

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 11:24:57 am »
I guess I've never considered CA common yeast to be a "true" lager yeast.  Tom, from the expert point of view, is it, or is it some weird halfway hybrid?
I don't know.  Assuming it is one or the other, can it ferment melibiose?  If yes, lager yeast.  If no, ale yeast.  Fermentation temperature is a good but not great way to determine lager vs. ale yeast, but which sugars the strains will ferment is an accurate way to figure it out.
Tom Schmidlin

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 11:26:38 am »
I guess I've never considered CA common yeast to be a "true" lager yeast.  Tom, from the expert point of view, is it, or is it some weird halfway hybrid?
I don't know.  Assuming it is one or the other, can it ferment melibiose?  If yes, lager yeast.  If no, ale yeast.  Fermentation temperature is a good but not great way to determine lager vs. ale yeast, but what sugars they ferment is accurate.

Yeah, I don't know either, but at least now I know what the distinction is and what to look for.  Thanks, man.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2011, 11:28:47 am »
I don't know.  Assuming it is one or the other, can it ferment melibiose?  If yes, lager yeast.  If no, ale yeast.  Fermentation temperature is a good but not great way to determine lager vs. ale yeast, but what sugars they ferment is accurate.

Yeah, I don't know either, but at least now I know what the distinction is and what to look for.  Thanks, man.
I'll see if I can find some raffinose to send you, then you can test it. :)  Raffinose can be broken down by the lager yeast completely, ale yeast can cut off a fructose but it leaves melibiose behind.
Tom Schmidlin