Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fermcap S  (Read 25542 times)

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
Re: Fermcap S
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2011, 08:00:26 pm »
I love it.  A couple drops and the boil-over just disappears.  At that concentration in 10 or 11 gallons of wort, I am not concerned over health issues.
I'm thinking that it may be a good idea to make a really dilute concentration and put it into a spray bottle.  What do you all think of that?
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2011, 08:05:17 pm »
I don't use Fermcap and really haven't seen a need for it in my brewing. It sounds useful but I'm usually hovering around the kettle as it nears the boiling point and I hardly ever get a blow off ferment so it's really not worth it for me.

I'm kinda in this same boat.  I do 5.5 gallon batches in a 10 gallon pot so boilovers are rarely a consideration and I purposely ferment 5.5 gallons in a 6 gallon Better Bottle cuz I want some blowoff to get rid of some of the braun hefe.
Joe

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2011, 09:07:51 pm »
So, I for one, will continue to use Fermcap with reckless abandon... in starters, to prevent boilover, to prevent blowoff, when boiling milk and water for instant pasta, just for fun cause I like the taste.... ok maybe not the last one....
Who knew a PhD in Pharmacology would be so helpful on a brew board, eh? :)

Dimethylpolysiloxane in my beer? No thanks. If I can't pronounce it, it's not going in my beer...  ;)
+1
I can pronounce it, so I guess I'm in the clear. ;)

You can too . . . die meth ull polly sill ox ane

There, now you can use it. ;D
Tom Schmidlin

ccarlson

« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2011, 09:26:59 pm »
If it has over two syllables, it certainly doesn't belong in beer. .

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2011, 10:03:25 pm »
::)  Better leave out the humulus lupulus, you don't want any isohumulones in there.  And by all means leave out the Saccharomyces that's just going to give you ethanol.  And don't use any hordeum, vulgare or otherwise.  Or hydrogen oxide.

Fermcap is only two syllables though, so feel free to use that.
Tom Schmidlin

narvin

« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2011, 10:14:33 pm »
Don't need them, unless you're brewing a girlie beer.

You have strange ideas about "girlie beer".  My wife, a tiny thing, won't touch anything with fruits or spices.  Unless it's got at least 70 IBU, she's not interested.  Be careful when you stereotype.

No sugar means no Belgian beers or a lot of British beers.

I would bet that the majority of fruit beers are consumed by women or guys that act that way. :)

What do guys who act like real guys drink?  Miller Lite?

Offline amish electrician

• 1st Kit
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2011, 10:29:43 pm »

Pharmaceutics... get it right.... ;)

I'm just glad I can use it for something useful everyone can enjoy  ;D

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2011, 11:29:13 pm »

Pharmaceutics... get it right.... ;)
So what does that make you, a pharmaceuticist?
Tom Schmidlin

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2011, 07:39:38 am »
I love it.  A couple drops and the boil-over just disappears.  At that concentration in 10 or 11 gallons of wort, I am not concerned over health issues.
I'm thinking that it may be a good idea to make a really dilute concentration and put it into a spray bottle.  What do you all think of that?

You could try it but I'm wondering if it might not crap up the sprayer.  Also mine says to keep refrigerated, not sure why that would be.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2011, 07:44:19 am »
Dimethylpolysiloxane in my beer? No thanks. If I can't pronounce it, it's not going in my beer...  ;)
+1
I can pronounce it, so I guess I'm in the clear. ;)

You can too . . . die meth ull polly sill ox ane

There, now you can use it. ;D

Tom...you have a way with words. Say that 10 times real fast for me.  ;)  ;D  :P
Ron Price

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2011, 07:56:57 am »
::)  Better leave out the humulus lupulus, you don't want any isohumulones in there.  And by all means leave out the Saccharomyces that's just going to give you ethanol.  And don't use any hordeum, vulgare or otherwise.  Or hydrogen oxide.

Dihydrogen Monoxide you mean ;-)
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2011, 08:13:32 am »
It won't clog up a sprayer.  Just add it in the same concentration (roughly 2 drops per gallon) in the spray bottle if you don't want to worry about exceeding the ppm number.  Keeping it in the fridge is just good practice to reduce/prevent bacteria and mold.  You don't have to refrigerate a spray bottle of StarSan because the low pH (<3) keeps things sanitary.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2011, 09:23:51 am »
All of this had made up my mind that I will cut back or eliminate my use of Fermcap.  I made beer without it for years and even though it may not be immediately fatal, I have enough health problems already that I don't see the need to be potentially adding any more.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2011, 09:41:53 am »
Tom...you have a way with words. Say that 10 times real fast for me.  ;)  ;D  :P
Done ;D

Dihydrogen Monoxide you mean ;-)
Or hydrogen hydroxide, or hydroxic acid if you like. :)

@Denny, it's your choice, I respect that.
Tom Schmidlin

ccarlson

« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2011, 09:42:09 am »
All of this had made up my mind that I will cut back or eliminate my use of Fermcap.  I made beer without it for years and even though it may not be immediately fatal, I have enough health problems already that I don't see the need to be potentially adding any more.

+1 Why take a chance?