Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: May is National Hamburger Month  (Read 16535 times)

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
Re: May is National Hamburger Month
« Reply #75 on: May 12, 2011, 08:23:14 am »
White vinegar?  What's that for?  I've used malt vinegar on fries or used white wine vinegar to make mayonnaise to have with fries but not used white vinegar for anything.

You could also make meatballs with the ground beef.  Eggs, bread soaked in milk, onion, garlic, basil, parmesan, season.  Yum.  If you make a bunch bake them rather than pan-frying them.  You get more of them done and they still brown up nicely.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
  • ---Michael Dieterle--------- ---Seattle, WA
    • Beer Monger - Adventures In the Wonderful World of Beer.
« Reply #76 on: May 12, 2011, 08:29:49 am »
White vinegar?  What's that for?  I've used malt vinegar on fries or used white wine vinegar to make mayonnaise to have with fries but not used white vinegar for anything.

You could also make meatballs with the ground beef.  Eggs, bread soaked in milk, onion, garlic, basil, parmesan, season.  Yum.  If you make a bunch bake them rather than pan-frying them.  You get more of them done and they still brown up nicely.

I wanted to try the 'perfect fries' recipe over at burger lab.  It calls for a little white vinegar in the water you boil them in.  I have some apple cider vinegar & could probably have used that, but I was also too low on oil (and I'd prefer to use peanut oil - which I'm out of). 

And here is why you want the vinegar:

"I tried bringing two pots of cut potatoes to a boil side by side, the first with plain water, and the second with water spiked with vinegar at a ratio of one tablespoon per quart. Here's what I saw."

"The fries boiled in plain water disintegrated, making them nearly impossible to pick up. When I added them to the hot oil, they broke apart even further. On the other hand, those boiled in the vinegared water remained perfectly intact, even after boiling for a full ten minutes. When fried, they had fabulously crisp crusts with tiny, bubbly, blistered surfaces that stayed crisp even when they were completely cool."
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 08:32:13 am by Beer Monger »
Beer Monger's Blog
Follow my Beer Monger page on Facebook!

Drink responsibly and stay safe out there.

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #77 on: May 12, 2011, 08:32:42 am »
Boiling fries in water?  That's odd.  Can you post a link?
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #78 on: May 12, 2011, 08:35:00 am »
I guess I should say that I normally do fries in peanut oil.  Cook them twice, once at lower temps to cook, and once at higher temps to crisp. 

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
« Reply #79 on: May 12, 2011, 08:38:13 am »

The link is the words 'Perfect Fries' in the post above.  ;) 

The logic in the article seems sound - so I'm gonna give 'em a shot & see if I can make the perfect fries, right at home. 
Beer Monger's Blog

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #80 on: May 12, 2011, 09:09:54 am »

The logic in the article seems sound - so I'm gonna give 'em a shot & see if I can make the perfect fries, right at home. 

Because these freeze so well, I always do the burger lab recipe. My fries are better than McDonald's for crispiness, frankly. I love Kenji
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline SpanishCastleAle

• Brewer
« Reply #81 on: May 12, 2011, 09:26:39 am »

Because these freeze so well, I always do the burger lab recipe. My fries are better than McDonald's for crispiness, frankly. I love Kenji
That perfect fries article is good imo.  I've been saying for years that frozen fries are better (I made the homemade fries at TGI Fridays for years).  Some people don't want to gives Mickey D's their props for their fries...then they'll say how good Five Guys fries are (those are the most amateur-ish fries I think I've ever seen in a restaurant).  But to each his own (imo, fry a potato and salt it and it's not really going to suck unless you completely screw it up).

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
« Reply #82 on: May 12, 2011, 09:35:10 am »
For the freeze before frying method (which I won't be using tonight, obviously), do you want to do the 50 second fry before freezing them or just the vinegar/water boil? 
Beer Monger's Blog

Offline SpanishCastleAle

• Brewer
« Reply #83 on: May 12, 2011, 10:29:09 am »
For the freeze before frying method (which I won't be using tonight, obviously), do you want to do the 50 second fry before freezing them or just the vinegar/water boil? 
You do the vinegar/water boil, then the first fry, then freeze, then the final fry.  If you look at that article, there is a 'Get the recipe' link that gives you a step-by-step.

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #84 on: May 12, 2011, 12:54:55 pm »
So the final frying is while the fries are still frozen?  Or do you defrost them first?

Offline SpanishCastleAle

• Brewer
« Reply #85 on: May 12, 2011, 01:27:26 pm »
So the final frying is while the fries are still frozen?  Or do you defrost them first?
Still frozen.

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
« Reply #86 on: May 13, 2011, 06:52:38 am »
I got too sidetracked last night.  I still managed another burger (just w/ the 'basics': Cheddar, lettuce, tomato & red onion), but I didn't have time for the fries.  What I'm probably gonna do is prepare some tonight.  I'll flash fry & then freeze them - and they fry them up tomorrow to bring along to the 'Meet & Greet' for the Flying BIke Coop Brewery.  :) 
Beer Monger's Blog