Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Saison bottle conditioning?  (Read 2295 times)

coastsidemike

Saison bottle conditioning?
« on: May 10, 2011, 09:28:22 am »
Hey brewers,

I brewed & fermented my first Saison, kinda a trial run for something I always want available.  My ambient storage temp is 62 degrees, and so I maintained the needed fermentation temps (started at 70 & slowly moved to ~78) by placing the carboy into a trash can, surrounded with water heated by aquarium equipment.  Worked great, and it did need a full 4 weeks to finish.  With bottle conditioning, does anyone add a different yeast for the carbonation step?  I'm hoping the answer is no, but then do I need to also keep the bottles warm to get full carbonation within a time period of a month or two?   Wondering if anyone has experience on that.  Yeast is the WLP565.

Thanks y'all.

- mikeg

narvin

Re: Saison bottle conditioning?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 09:34:37 am »
Hey brewers,

I brewed & fermented my first Saison, kinda a trial run for something I always want available.  My ambient storage temp is 62 degrees, and so I maintained the needed fermentation temps (started at 70 & slowly moved to ~78) by placing the carboy into a trash can, surrounded with water heated by aquarium equipment.  Worked great, and it did need a full 4 weeks to finish.  With bottle conditioning, does anyone add a different yeast for the carbonation step?  I'm hoping the answer is no, but then do I need to also keep the bottles warm to get full carbonation within a time period of a month or two?   Wondering if anyone has experience on that.  Yeast is the WLP565.

Thanks y'all.

- mikeg

I'd suggest keeping any beer around 70 for the first couple weeks of bottle conditioning.  I don't think you have to do anything special with the Saison... that yeast should be able to eat through pure sucrose just fine.

Offline ryang

• Brewer
  • Indian Hills CO
Re: Saison bottle conditioning?
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 10:07:05 am »
No.   ;)