Author Topic: Saison bottle conditioning?  (Read 711 times)

Offline surfin_mikeg

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
Saison bottle conditioning?
« on: May 10, 2011, 08:28:22 AM »
Hey brewers,

I brewed & fermented my first Saison, kinda a trial run for something I always want available.  My ambient storage temp is 62 degrees, and so I maintained the needed fermentation temps (started at 70 & slowly moved to ~78) by placing the carboy into a trash can, surrounded with water heated by aquarium equipment.  Worked great, and it did need a full 4 weeks to finish.  With bottle conditioning, does anyone add a different yeast for the carbonation step?  I'm hoping the answer is no, but then do I need to also keep the bottles warm to get full carbonation within a time period of a month or two?   Wondering if anyone has experience on that.  Yeast is the WLP565.

Thanks y'all.

- mikeg

Offline narvin

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Baltimore
    • View Profile
Re: Saison bottle conditioning?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 08:34:37 AM »
Hey brewers,

I brewed & fermented my first Saison, kinda a trial run for something I always want available.  My ambient storage temp is 62 degrees, and so I maintained the needed fermentation temps (started at 70 & slowly moved to ~78) by placing the carboy into a trash can, surrounded with water heated by aquarium equipment.  Worked great, and it did need a full 4 weeks to finish.  With bottle conditioning, does anyone add a different yeast for the carbonation step?  I'm hoping the answer is no, but then do I need to also keep the bottles warm to get full carbonation within a time period of a month or two?   Wondering if anyone has experience on that.  Yeast is the WLP565.

Thanks y'all.

- mikeg

I'd suggest keeping any beer around 70 for the first couple weeks of bottle conditioning.  I don't think you have to do anything special with the Saison... that yeast should be able to eat through pure sucrose just fine.
Please do not reply if your an evil alien!
Thanks
Chris S.

Offline ryang

• Brewer
  • Indian Hills CO
    • View Profile
Re: Saison bottle conditioning?
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 09:07:05 AM »
No.   ;)