Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Thoughts about fights  (Read 8585 times)

Offline bluefoxicy

• Brewer
Thoughts about fights
« on: May 10, 2011, 10:38:10 am »
Something occurred to me while I walked, carrying two bottles and a cup of sour cream in one hand, a tray of quesadillas in the other.

... those of us who fight with our hands are occasionally disadvantaged.

My natural weapon is the Jo; the first time I saw one I was rather disinterested, but the moment the weapon came into my hands I felt like I'd been training with it all my life.  Still, I prefer my hands mainly, to the point that I'll get in a knife fight bare handed even if I could easily get my hands on a knife (hell, even a freaking katana) of my own, despite extensive training with knives.  Having a weapon in my hands is a liability, short of a Jo; even then, the Jo is primarily manipulated by hands.

So of course, if my hands are tied and I'm attacked, I'm at somewhat of a disadvantage.

This got me thinking about people who fight with their legs.  I'm no good at kicking; I'm no kick boxer, and such people are fierce.  I often encourage women especially to take up kickboxing, as it is highly aerobic and falls directly in line with any desire they have to "get in shape."  It is an activity that stands on its own merit without being considered as a martial art, and thus it is an excellent self defense venue.

Something did eventually occur to me, though.  Something interesting.

People say most fights end up on the ground.  In Silat, we're trained to bring opponents to the ground with us; injure them; and get off the ground quickly.  It's rather fast, and severe.  The concern in Silat primarily stems from its origins:  Indonesians facing huge armies of invaders.  This art wasn't made for one-on-one fights.

As a side effect, though, people who study Pentjak Silat are extremely effective at two things:  bringing opponents onto the ground with them and injuring opponents from the ground.

It occurs to me that, when standing, you need one leg on the ground at all times.  Two for stability.  Even then, this is a problem; you can easily be knocked over, and it takes a lot of effort to keep yourself upright.  On the ground, however, you have your entire body to use as leverage and as various weapons; two free legs on the ground are deadly, capable of sweeping, kicking, scissoring, binding.  You do not need your arms for stability; in fact, your arms can be utilized rather freely.  Even if your opponent has a pole-arm, you could defend yourself against it and bring him down using it--or by taking the arm attached, and binding the legs.

It occurs to me that fighters on the ground have a distinct advantage over fighters standing.  Fighting on the ground requires much more skill and is much more dangerous due to the large number of potential threats and the extreme flexibility of movement your opponent has.  People talk about ground fighting as if it is the most inelegant and barbaric position possible, and assert that all fights devolve to ground fighting where strength (and a lucky shot) dominates.

It occurs to me people have no idea what they're talking about.

Guess that's what I get for not living in Japan, though.  They just made Judo mandatory elementary school curriculum.

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
Re: Thoughts about fights
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 10:40:04 am »
Has it occured to you that most of us have no idea what YOU are talking about?  What the hell is a Jo?!   :D

Offline bluefoxicy

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 10:45:02 am »
Has it occured to you that most of us have no idea what YOU are talking about?  What the hell is a Jo?!   :D

A shoulder-height staff, typically about 50 inches long.  It is shorter than the 72 inch Bo, making it faster and more versatile:  sword techniques often actually work with a Jo, as do staff techniques.  Unlike a sword, both ends are the business end, depending on what suits your needs at that exact moment in time.

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 10:48:37 am »
Well at least now we know you're talking about stick fighting.  Have you read the book of 5 Rings?  Its not necessarily about stick fighting but its about fighting, or rather its truly about making decisions and acting upon those decisions.

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 10:49:24 am »
1st rule of fighting:  Don't,  . . . .   walk away, run away, get out of there.
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

ccarlson

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 10:58:39 am »
A 9mm is your best bet. Oh, and fully loaded.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 11:06:24 am »

A shoulder-height staff, typically about 50 inches long.  It is shorter than the 72 inch Bo, making it faster and more versatile:  sword techniques often actually work with a Jo, as do staff techniques.  Unlike a sword, both ends are the business end, depending on what suits your needs at that exact moment in time.

Now explain why I should care....
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluefoxicy

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 11:08:22 am »
Well at least now we know you're talking about stick fighting.  Have you read the book of 5 Rings?  Its not necessarily about stick fighting but its about fighting, or rather its truly about making decisions and acting upon those decisions.

I only want to read that book in Japanese; I don't want an opinion piece from a translator.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 11:31:56 am »
It occurs to me I'm too smart to get into fights.

But if you get me on the ground I'll take your ear, nose or even a lip. And you won't get it back.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 11:36:23 am »
It occurs to me I'm too smart to get into fights.

But if you get me on the ground I'll take your ear, nose or even a lip. And you won't get it back.

Ahh, the old Mike Tyson school of fighting
Joe

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 11:40:35 am »
Rule #1
Fred Bonjour

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2011, 11:41:21 am »
Rule #1

I like that one the best. Live by the sword die by the sword.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2011, 11:46:09 am »
1st rule of fighting:  Don't,  . . . .   walk away, run away, get out of there.

Exactly.  It's what is taught in kung fu.  Find any way out of the fight whether it be: buy the guy a beer, walk/run away, whatever.  Just so you don't start a fight and hurt someone.  You don't want to hurt someone because they might get all their friends and gang up on you the next day or you may be slapped with a lawsuit and/or go to jail.  Fighting is bad, mmmmkay.
Jesse

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2011, 11:48:34 am »
Rule #1 is don't, avoid, get away.

But Rule #1 doesn't always work . . . .
Fred Bonjour

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2011, 11:53:59 am »
I thought Rule #1 was that you don't talk about it...

I haven't been in a fight since middle school. Can't understand why, because I'm generally a loudmouth a-hole. I think most people would rather posture than actually fight.
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”