Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Rocket City Brewfest!!  (Read 3867 times)

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Rocket City Brewfest!!
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2011, 02:45:47 pm »
If I ever did do it, I would prefer to start by sellings kegs to bars and resturants, etc....Then, from there go all brew pubbie. To me, it just seems like an easier transition. That way, I'm not trying to brew, run a resturant, get entertainment and run a business all at once. Give me chance to get my brewing down first.
  Speaking of, Major, what kind of food do you have at your place, and what kind of acts do you get in?

It's just a distributing brewery, not a pub. Too many laws in Alabama to run a brewpub. 1# you have to have your brewery in a historic building that was once a brewery.... ::) I won't go into the rest, that one is stupid enough.
;D

How many of those buildings exist in the state?  Do they require proof?
Tom Schmidlin

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2011, 02:50:01 pm »
 Congrats on the festival. From that little tidbit, I'm surprised they allow a beer festival!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 03:33:17 pm by maxieboy »
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2011, 03:18:14 pm »
Oh yeah, documented proof. Which is why there is only one brewpub I know of in the state, and I think they may have closed. There is one in the works for downtown Huntsville. Loads of money going into that one.

All kinds of stupid beer laws which is why the Free the Hops organization even exists. That said, the laws they are a changin'. It's only a matter of time.

The other thing about living here is that there is the opportunity to open a brewery. We are at the catalyst here. I can triple capacity right now and still not meet demand. Not that kind of opportunity everywhere across the country.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2011, 03:24:04 pm »
So why not triple capacity?  Are you looking for investors?  I can send $5. :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2011, 03:29:07 pm »
We are in the process of doubling capacity right now. have had offers for investment cash just haven't bitten yet. We have been trying to keep it in the original founders interests completely (there are four of us). that said, we have been giving the investor option a closer look lately.

I'll take the $5 though, I'll PM you my PayPal account.  :P

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2011, 03:36:03 pm »
I think your plan is good, to keep it with the original people as long as possible and retain control.  You know your products, and the big money people just come in and change things, often for the worse.  If it's an option, I would be more tempted by a bank loan, at least you know they'll stay out of it.

You can consider my $5 pre-payment for a pint of beer when I come to Alabama, which should be right around the 30th of February next double leap year. ;)
Tom Schmidlin