Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BBQ disaster  (Read 9116 times)

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
BBQ disaster
« on: May 10, 2011, 12:36:22 pm »
 My brother-in-law recently built a very nice smoker, from an old propane tank. About 10' long. He put it on a trailer, so it's easily portable. Could use a coat of paint, but that won't make it work any better.
  Last weekend, he smoked a whole pig for a graduation. The party was at 6 p.m. Saturday. We were to eat shortly after. He put the pig on a 3 p.m. Friday, at 275*!! You can imagine what happened. It was awful. Tough, dry, very little smoke flavor, just charcoal. Worst part is, the poor guy thought it was great. Oh, and, he also put six chickens on. At 10 a.m. Saturday. Right over the fire! by 6, they looked like six little bowling balls. I don't think there was any salvagable meat on them. What bbq abortion.
  The lesson is, it's not the equiptment you have, it's know how to use what ever you have. I far from claim to be the greatest at grilling / smoking, but I could have at least made it ediable.
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: BBQ disaster
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 12:42:04 pm »
That's too bad.You're right in that it's not about the equipment you have but it's how you use it and your process that's more important. I've seen guys BBQ on those cheap little habatchi grills you can get at the Dollarstore that tasted like competition BBQ and visa-versa as you have witnessed.

It's not how big your tool is... but it's how you use it. ;)
Ron Price

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 12:50:25 pm »
Whole hog would be tricky...I've never done it, but it combines, naturally, a ton of different cuts that each have different ideal cooking methods and temps. 

The subject line made me think back to that epic rib pic you posted on the other forum Weaz!  I've made some bad ribs...no, MANY bad slabs of ribs...but your pic was awesome.  Those ribs looked like they were at at ground zero of the trinity testing site.

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 12:54:29 pm »
  The lesson is, it's not the equipment you have, it's know how to use what ever you have.

Practice, Practice, Practice.  Gota feel a little sorry for your BIL.  I'm sure he meant well.  Roasting a whole hog is a challenge for professionals, and they still mess it up sometimes...  Cheers!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 01:06:28 pm »
  The lesson is, it's not the equipment you have, it's know how to use what ever you have.

Practice, Practice, Practice.  Gota feel a little sorry for your BIL.  I'm sure he meant well.  Roasting a whole hog is a challenge for professionals, and they still mess it up sometimes...  Cheers!!!

That's too bad about the hog man. Doing it at 165-200 would have been better. Maybe introducing him to the BBQ Brethren might be all your BIL needs weaze. ;)

I'm fortunate that my experience goes back 40 years with BBQ. Picked up smoking techniques fairly easily in my weber kettle. Graduated to inadequate rusted out barrel grill and still made decent Q. But then using the BGE really was like picking up a Stradivarius. Regardless, I've managed to F some meat up even in that due to unforeseen complications.

However, I'm beginning to look again at other equipment options...
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 01:46:55 pm »
The subject line made me think back to that epic rib pic you posted on the other forum Weaz!  I've made some bad ribs...no, MANY bad slabs of ribs...but your pic was awesome.  Those ribs looked like they were at at ground zero of the trinity testing site.

That was pretty epic. I just had to repost, for a laugh. And I'll never forget the conversation I had with my buddy about them when we pulled them off.

Me : " I'm really upset. That was my dinner"
Buddy " I'm a black dude from Mississppi. How do you think I feel?!"

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 01:51:23 pm »

That was pretty epic. I just had to repost, for a laugh. And I'll never forget the conversation I had with my buddy about them when we pulled them off.

Me : " I'm really upset. That was my dinner"
Buddy " I'm a black dude from Mississppi. How do you think I feel?!"

Maybe, possibly, could of used them for baked beans? Parts maybe??  Happy to see I'm not the only one who has cooked dem bones well done...  ;)  Cheers!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 02:10:52 pm »
Only thing could have been done with these, was to use them as charcoal to do my next rack on.

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 02:12:12 pm »
SACRE BLEU!
Phoenix, AZ

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 02:44:55 pm »
Those beef ribs look pretty bad but surely something could have been done? Maybe chopped beef.

So I guess it was KFC for dinner that night...
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 03:00:33 pm »
I'm telling you, these ribs were burnt to charcoal all the way through. There was NOTHING that could have been done. I mean NOTHING!

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2011, 03:01:58 pm »
Call Al Gore.  I think you need to buy some carbon offsets.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2011, 03:21:41 pm »
I'm telling you, these ribs were burnt to charcoal all the way through. There was NOTHING that could have been done. I mean NOTHING!
What the hell weaze?  How could they ever get that bad, did you ignore them for 7 hours?
Tom Schmidlin

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2011, 03:24:28 pm »
  Fired up the bullet smoker (my first time using) Put in about 15 bricks of charcoal. My temp was only 200* or so. I added 5 more bircks. Temp was still low, so I added 5 bricks. Repeat this process, then walk away for an hour. Your smoker tends to hit 250* real fast! Try about 450-500* It was ugly...... :-[

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2011, 03:40:12 pm »
It's only funny because it happened to someone else ;)
Tom Schmidlin