Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Six day IPA  (Read 9240 times)

Offline timberati

• Assistant Brewer
  • Norm
    • Batch-22
Re: Six day IPA
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2011, 11:23:11 am »
You nailed it right on......I know it won't be my best beer. I know it could be better.

See, I guess I just don't understand what the point is if this is the result.
I think I do.  Good enough is always good enough.
Cervesariis Feliciter
Batch-22 http://52beers.wordpress.com/
Twitter: timberati

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2011, 11:36:59 am »
You nailed it right on......I know it won't be my best beer. I know it could be better.

See, I guess I just don't understand what the point is if this is the result.
I think I do.  Good enough is always good enough.

I guess I don't like to give beer (or anything else) to people unless it represents my best efforts.  In that case, to me, good enough is not good enough.  And let's go a step further...what if someone who was considering homebrewing is turned off to it because the beer isn't that great?  Yeah, maybe a bit hyperbolic, but maybe not.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2011, 11:38:41 am »
  I see your point as well. I still know that it will be better than bud though. (not like that says a lot.  ;D )
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2011, 11:55:16 am »
  I see your point as well. I still know that it will be better than bud though. (not like that says a lot.  ;D )

Yeah, but IMO, water is better than Bud.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
  • ---Michael Dieterle--------- ---Seattle, WA
    • Beer Monger - Adventures In the Wonderful World of Beer.
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2011, 11:57:28 am »

Agreed.   8)
Beer Monger's Blog
Follow my Beer Monger page on Facebook!

Drink responsibly and stay safe out there.

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2011, 04:25:55 pm »

There's a difference?

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2011, 04:57:30 pm »

There's a difference?

The price.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline timberati

• Assistant Brewer
  • Norm
    • Batch-22
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2011, 05:09:39 pm »

There's a difference?

Yonks ago I was on a fire (as fire behavior field observer) and Budweiser had donated cans of water to the firefighting effort. It was water they had (apparently) used to flush out their system. We called it Bud Water.
Cervesariis Feliciter
Batch-22 http://52beers.wordpress.com/
Twitter: timberati

Offline Will's Swill

• Brewer
  • Secretly likes wine...
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2011, 06:20:46 pm »

I guess I don't like to give beer (or anything else) to people unless it represents my best efforts.  In that case, to me, good enough is not good enough.  And let's go a step further...what if someone who was considering homebrewing is turned off to it because the beer isn't that great?  Yeah, maybe a bit hyperbolic, but maybe not.

You have a point, but as long as it's good, well what the heck.  I know that when I cook for a lot of people, I will often not get the same quality of ingredients as I get when just cooking for myself.  I might buy pre-packaged and pre-cooked vegetables, or frozen pizza dough, just to shave prep time.  I've even bought pre-formed burgers to save some time (though that has to be for A LOT of people for me to stoop to that).  I just make it up with the other ingredients.
Is that a counter-pressure bottle filler in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2011, 06:40:35 pm »
Actually, in my humble opinion, certain beers, specifically APA's and IPA's taste VERY good green. They won't be perfectly clear, but that's what non-transparent cups are for. They mellow with time and become less in your face, but personally an IPA, a week out of the bucket and force carbed has a certain organic charm to it.
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2011, 09:32:25 pm »
  I got my supplies today from the brewery. It was actually a very nice trip there. The brewess who denied me a recipe actually sat down with me and drank a beer (one of mine  :D ) and we talked beer, and she gave me a 50 cent tour. I scored 10 puond of grist and 4 oz of hops for 13$!! How cool is that! And, turns out she has had 5 pin lock corrnies ssitting in her basement, she let me have for 20$ each. SCORE!!
 But, you talked me into waiting this beer out it's propeer time. I am going to wait and brew it next weekend. I leave for Ohio  on the 24th, and get back the 11th. That will be just the right timing. Thank you all for bringing me to my senses.
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline beer_crafter

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2011, 04:02:00 am »
the thing is, I think there are beers that you can brew and serve in 6 days with much less of a detriment to the beer than an IPA.  I'd be tempted to do an ordinary bitter or an american wheat ale. 

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2011, 04:32:03 am »
the thing is, I think there are beers that you can brew and serve in 6 days with much less of a detriment to the beer than an IPA.  I'd be tempted to do an ordinary bitter or an american wheat ale. 

I've got a Special Bitter clone that's in the primary now, been bubbling since a little after I pitched yeast Saturday evening. Given your comment I'm hoping that I'll have something drinkable for my party in two weeks.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2011, 09:33:51 am »

Unless of course you don't care for ordinary bitter or wheat ale, like me.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2011, 10:02:50 am »

Unless of course you don't care for ordinary bitter or wheat ale, like me.
How about a mild Denny?  Irish stout, brown ale?  Even a hoppy pale ale can be done and delicious in a short period of time, you just need to understand the limitations of brewing on short notice.  Low gravity, quick fermentation, not a lot of time for playing around with flavors post ferment.  Ferment, chill, keg, carb, serve.  No problem.
Tom Schmidlin