Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: I'm a dad again!  (Read 3558 times)

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
Re: I'm a dad again!
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2011, 10:49:11 am »
I would really like to get a chicken coup up someday. How much work is that?

My wife ordered her coop from some place in south west jersey, I think its an amish farm. It cost around $900 fully assembled and delivered. The only thing we are going to add ourselves are some wheels and a handle so she can move it around if need be. We're getting those from Harbor Freight.

There are a ton of places online where you can order them, either pre-made or in kits.

Do you get any trouble from the neighbors about the chickens? What town are you in? I thought about doing it here, but there's already pretty much a flashing neon sign above my house that says "redneck" and I figured it'd make me even less popular around here.
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2011, 12:16:36 pm »

My wife ordered her coop from some place in south west jersey, I think its an amish farm. It cost around $900 fully assembled and delivered. The only thing we are going to add ourselves are some wheels and a handle so she can move it around if need be. We're getting those from Harbor Freight.

There are a ton of places online where you can order them, either pre-made or in kits.

The place I linked to sells plans for $25 or a large fully assembled coop for $700.  You can also get a coop for 3-4 chickens for $375.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

ccarlson

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2011, 12:26:07 pm »

The place I linked to sells plans for $25 or a large fully assembled coop for $700.  You can also get a coop for 3-4 chickens for $375.

That's interesting, because I would imagine that most people that raise chickens would also be handy enough to build their own coop. I'm sure you could save a bunch of money and get it exactly the way you like it.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2011, 01:04:24 pm »
That's interesting, because I would imagine that most people that raise chickens would also be handy enough to build their own coop.

Not me, for sure.  And not a lot of the urban customers that the business sells to.  Not to mention that I don't have the tools (or desire) to do it, either.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

ccarlson

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2011, 01:10:31 pm »
That's interesting, because I would imagine that most people that raise chickens would also be handy enough to build their own coop.

Not me, for sure.  And not a lot of the urban customers that the business sells to.  Not to mention that I don't have the tools (or desire) to do it, either.

Guess I hang with different kind of folks. To be honest, I sometimes wished I didn't have the tools or the know how. It can be a curse sometimes.

Offline tonyp

• Brewmaster
  • If it ain't broke you aren't trying hard enough...
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2011, 01:15:51 pm »
Do you get any trouble from the neighbors about the chickens? What town are you in? I thought about doing it here, but there's already pretty much a flashing neon sign above my house that says "redneck" and I figured it'd make me even less popular around here.

I'm in Toms River, NJ, but we are zoned for farmland so even if the neighbors don't like it, they can't do anything about it. We have 4 little mouthy dogs that are much louder since we don't have any roosters.
Live from the Jersey Shore!

Phrases for Creatives, #22:
"I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter."

Offline tonyp

• Brewmaster
  • If it ain't broke you aren't trying hard enough...
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2011, 01:18:35 pm »
That's interesting, because I would imagine that most people that raise chickens would also be handy enough to build their own coop. I'm sure you could save a bunch of money and get it exactly the way you like it.

My wife is the farmer, I'm a computer graphics nerd but i'm actually pretty handy with tools and wood working. I would love to build stuff but I don't have the room for any workshop tools. In any case, if i did have the room, it would be taken up by a brewing system :)
Live from the Jersey Shore!

Phrases for Creatives, #22:
"I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter."

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2011, 08:02:32 pm »

I'm in Toms River, NJ, but we are zoned for farmland so even if the neighbors don't like it, they can't do anything about it. We have 4 little mouthy dogs that are much louder since we don't have any roosters.

I now wish to hell I had bought a place across the river in Hillsborough. Buddy of mine has a few acres out there, and it's hillbilly paradise. Maybe next time.
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”