Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cold Room - modifying window A/C  (Read 18201 times)

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
Cold Room - modifying window A/C
« on: May 10, 2011, 01:07:24 pm »
Now that it's warming up, I need to finish off my cold room.

The window unit I'm planning to use does not want to cool below 60 degrees.  I have it hooked to a Johnson Controls temp controller, but the issue is with the unit itself.

I've pulled off the front panel and located the temperature sensor.  My approach for the time being is to put the sensor into a coffee can with a small incandescent bulb to warm it up, thus hopefully bringing the room temp down below 60.

Does anyone have advice/recommendations/links for a more elegant way of rigging this?  Duct-taping a coffee can to the side of the a/c seems a tad hill-billy.

I haven't pulled the controls fully apart to see if I can bypass the temp sensor as I'll need to pull the unit out of the window to open the case further.  It needs to come out anyway so I can finish painting and insulating so I may get to that this weekend.

Nonetheless, I'm sure others have dealt with this before and I could benefit from some advice.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline JKL

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Cold Room - modifying window A/C
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 01:25:59 pm »
When I had hopes and dreams of turning the storage room in my garage into a walk-in I had planned to buy one of these.

http://www.storeitcold.com/

-J.K.L.

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 01:39:42 pm »
Sounds like you need to yank the factory control, and just hard wire it. That's how I did mine. Should be easy as a phillips screw driver, and a wire nut.
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 02:01:35 pm »
When I had hopes and dreams of turning the storage room in my garage into a walk-in I had planned to buy one of these.

http://www.storeitcold.com/

-J.K.L.
I think that it is basically the same thing.

If the AC is analog there may be a screw that you can adjust to lower the temperature.
Brew on

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 02:09:42 pm »
I use a window shaker AC to cool my "fermentorium" to 66-68F.  All of my meads and ales are fermented there.  Anything that needs to be cooler than that goes into a converted chest freezer or small under-counter refrigerators, all of which are temp controlled with external thermostats. 

Electricty currenty costs $0.45/kWh here (pun intended).  Trying to keep the fermentorium cooler than 66F would cost way too much.

The freezer and friges are not inside the fermentorium
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline speed

• Brewer
  • Thedford nebraska
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 05:42:13 pm »
not sure here but, if you override the therm control the evaporator will freeze up. it has to cycle to defrost it.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 08:13:40 pm »
Well, for the time being my hill billy rig with the coffee can seems to be working.  We'll see if it can take it down to 55 degrees.

It looks like garbage, but it was cheap and easy.

FWIW - I'm not worried about freezing the condensor.  I'm only trying to get down to 50 at most and this hopefully does the trick.  The JC temp controller ought to provide enough cycling to keep the A/C alive. If it dies, I'm out nothing as it's been sitting in the basement taking up space for years.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton