Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Technical Difficulties!!  (Read 2901 times)

Offline wiley

• Cellarman
  • Great beer - built from the ground up!
Technical Difficulties!!
« on: May 10, 2011, 10:57:38 am »
This last weekend, I brewed a pretty standard wheat with the bill consisting of approximately 30% wheat malt (15% white wheat malt and 15% red wheat malt) and the remaining 2-row pale. My mash schedule was supposed to be:

5 min @ 115F
raise to 140F and hold for 15 min
raise to 153F and hold for 15 min

Due to some technical difficulties with the sparge arm, my 15 min at 115F turned into 45 min. BUT, I was able to get the HERMS back in action and hit the other two rests right on for the right times. OG turned out fine at 11.6 Brix (1.045 SG), but I'm concerned about the effects of the extended lower mash temp on the flavor profile given the expected "highly sessionable" profile of this light wheat ale.

Any thoughts on what I should expect out of the beer? I suspect it may be a little watery with some head retention problems, but haven't every had a protein rest go that long before.

While the RDWHAHB holds true, I can't help but be a little anxious. Thanks forum!  ;)

Offline Kirk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Sparks, NV
Re: Technical Difficulties!!
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 10:03:42 pm »
IMO, no problem.  I've done hour long protein rests with no ill effects.  My hunch is that all those warnings about protein rests are bunk.
Kirk Howell

Offline malzig

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 04:29:08 am »
IMO, no problem.  I've done hour long protein rests with no ill effects.  My hunch is that all those warnings about protein rests are bunk.
The corollary to the protein rest being essentially completed in the malting process is, apparently, that the proteinases are mostly denatured in the malting process.  I was told once that there is so little proteinase activity remaining that you can protein rest all you want since you won't do much.  I don't make any beers that I feel would benefit from a protein rest, though, so I never bothered to look for the research.

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 08:00:34 am »
What about traditional floor malted products?  Are they still being well-modified such that these rests are unneccessary?  I just wonder because I've been getting some cloudiness when using Thomas Fawcett Maris Otter, and I've heard others are having similar problems.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline wiley

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 09:27:44 am »
Thanks for the guidance!

The denaturing of the proteinases makes sense given the temperatures used for a typical 2-row malt. I'll keep ya'll posted as this beer finishes.

Thanks again!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 09:37:35 am »

If they were only warnings, I might agree.  But I have personal experience that it's not a myth.  Looks like we each have sen each side of things.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline wiley

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 11:06:43 am »

If they were only warnings, I might agree.  But I have personal experience that it's not a myth.  Looks like we each have sen each side of things.

What kind of impacts have you experienced?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 12:07:38 pm »

What kind of impacts have you experienced?

Very thin body, like water, and no head.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 02:12:40 pm »
In reading just a little on this subject, I suppose it might make a difference whether a person was using an American malt with its generally higher protein levels, and a Continental malt with lower protein.  This is independent of modification of course, but I'd guess that generally higher protein levels would leave more protein even once well-modified.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011, 02:36:07 pm »
In reading just a little on this subject, I suppose it might make a difference whether a person was using an American malt with its generally higher protein levels, and a Continental malt with lower protein.  This is independent of modification of course, but I'd guess that generally higher protein levels would leave more protein even once well-modified.

Well, my first experience with a long p rest was when I was making an Ofest using about 90% Great Western Munich.  It was also my first attempt at decoction and the mash sat at 122 for over an hour.  The resulting beer had the body of water and wouldn't hold a head no matter how high we carbed it.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Kirk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Sparks, NV
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2011, 02:54:55 pm »
I am certainly no expert, and Denny, I appreciate your experience.  Yours is the first account I've heard of a real problem.  The warnings I've read or heard usually had the word "may" in them.  I don't know why, but I've been doing protein rests for awhile now, about 7 batches worth, and haven't had a problem.  In fact, when I pour a draft, the head stays put while the liquid line rises.  The lacing is thick, and when I swirl the glass after it's been sitting for a long while, the head returns readily.  That's not bad is it?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 03:00:54 pm by kecfic »
Kirk Howell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2011, 03:08:46 pm »
I am certainly no expert, and Denny, I appreciate your experience.  Yours is the first account I've heard of a real problem.  The warnings I've read or heard usually had the word "may" in them.  I don't know why, but I've been doing protein rests for awhile now, about 7 batches worth, and haven't had a problem.  In fact, when I pour a draft, the head stays put while the liquid line rises.  The lacing is thick, and when I swirl the glass after it's been sitting for a long while, the head returns readily.  That's not bad is it?

Nope, it's not bad!  But, as a counterpoint, I get the same thing without a p rest!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Kirk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Sparks, NV
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2011, 03:25:17 pm »
Denny, you are awesome!  It's a puzzlement, I guess.
Kirk Howell